Chapter 9 - Pursuit

(Artwork by Cabonara)

"Long time no see! How've you been?!"

Mono grunted, diving onto the ground and dodging the giant's grip as he tried to wrap his slender fingers around the boy.

"Don't wanna talk!? Fine with me!"

"Come on, Mono!"

He snapped back to his senses, glancing over at Seven and remembering that he was meant to be running away right now.

"Alright, I'll be with you in just a second, Six!"

Mono's luck was running out as the giant let out another deep groan, raising his fist and slamming it down onto the hard, concrete floor, almost flattening the kid like a pancake as Six pulled him out of the way.

"Mono, are you trying to get yourself killed?!"

Six grabbed onto his hand and pulled him along, Seven following behind and trying to distract the giant with various debris he found along the floor, tossing them at the long-armed man in an attempt to get him off of their trail. In return, the man only grew angrier and impatient as the elevator on the other side of the room seemed to get farther and farther away with every passing second. 

"Why can't you just stay down, you big ugly potato?!"

Seven taunted, dodging to the side as the giant went to grab him. His blindness proved to be his ultimate weakness as the loud, giant fan on the ceiling masked their footsteps well enough to keep him virtually hidden. 

"What did you just call him, Seven?"

"Nothing!"

Mono scoffed, still being led by Six as they made a mad dash to the elevator. Seven thought he had the upper hand for the moment, but realized quickly he wasn't doing any good as the giant covered his face with his skinny hands, cracking his jaw, then proceeding to elongate his arms forward at the three. They went into a panic almost instantly as his reach got within grabbing distance. 

"Mono, catch!"

He had barely any time to react as Seven tossed him his flashlight, but Mono luckily caught it out of the air, turning around and striking the man's hand as it was seconds away from gripping his trenchcoat. The giant let out a cry of pain and frustration as it retreated its damaged hand, but kept its other hand focused on Seven.

"AAAHHH!!! HELP ME!!"

The two froze and turned around, gasping in shock as Seven was lifted up into the air. He squirmed around in the long-armed man's grip as his grip got tighter.

"CAN'T... BREATHE..!"

"Hang in there, Seven!"

Six got out her lighter, flicking it on and running up to the giant along with Mono who had his flashlight in his hand, ready to attack. They ran on opposite sides of the giant, Six setting aflame the man's coat as Mono jammed the flashlight into his foot. 

AGHH!!!

The giant instantly released its grip on Seven, swaying its arm around trying to get his attackers away from him as they all took their chance and retreated to the elevator. The long-armed man clutched his burning arm, putting out the small fire as Seven coughed and wheezed, recollecting himself. 

"Thanks, guys... I would've been so dead..."

"You're welcome, now quiet down and quickly hide!"

Six quieted the group down as they scrambled to different corners of the elevator, Mono ducking behind a pile of boxes and putting a hand over his mouth as the giant stomped into the elevator. He felt around for the button, running his fingers along the wall and pressing down the button that would lift them upward. The metal door slammed shut behind the giant as they began to move up.