Chapter 5 - The Granny

(Artwork by zZFabioZz)

"What in the world was that noise?"

Seven whispered, quickly got onto his feet, facing the metal door that the roar was heard from. Mono gritted his teeth, expecting the creature that made that noise to start banging on the door at any second. Six scooted closer to Mono, preparing herself for the worst as Seven started to walk toward the pulley that operated the door.

"Hey, WAIT! What are you doing?"

Mono panicked as the metal door began to raise when Seven began to pull the pulley.

"I'm gonna... take a look out there..."

He strained as he lifted the metal door just high enough for him to fit under it.

"Seven, don't you dare!"

He was already out, exploring the area beyond with his flashlight. Mono sighed, getting up and going after him along with Six.

"Seven! Get back here! Get-"

He froze in place, Six bumping into his back as he marveled at the scene before him.  A large pool with various objects floating at the top stretched out across the room, and at the very end was a wide-open door that led to more water.

"You guys ever seen anything like this before?"

Seven was staring down into the water, shining his flashlight at the surface of it.

"No... what is the purpose of this room? Why is there stuff floating on the water?'

Mono tried to decipher the point of the room they stood in as Six walked over to Seven and looked down into the water.

"Do you see something?"

Six inquired as Seven nodded.

"Yeah, look closely."

She crouched, eyeing the water and trying to see something in it. Suddenly, the silhouette of a large humanoid creature was seen swimming around in the murky depths. Six gasped, stumbling backward as Seven pointed it out.

"See, that thing!"

"What thing? What did you see?"

Mono quickly ran over, looking down into the water. Six stumbled over her words as she quaked with fear.

"There... something in the... water..."

"It looked like a giant fish or something-"

"That isn't a fish..."

Mono watched the dark humanoid figure in the water closely as it swam around, not resurfacing for air at all for some reason. It didn't click in Mono's head for a moment, but when it did, he understood completely.

"Oh, it's a mermaid!"

"What?!"

Seven shook his head.

"No, it's totally a fish, man!"

"Oh, come on! Look at it! It's literally got the body of a human, what else could it be?"

"Okay, number one, mermaids aren't real, and number two, there's-"

"Would you two shut up and listen!"

Six quieted them down as the sound of muffled metal whining came from the depths below. The underwater creature made a strange croaking noise as it suddenly emerged out of the water. It was gigantic, its flaky, pale hands planting on the frame of the door. Its back faced the three as it hauled itself over the door on the other side and went back into the water. They stood there frozen with fear until Seven mumbled under his breath so the creature wouldn't hear them.