Prologue

"So, Ms Blight, you and Ms Noceda wish to get married?"

There was a firm nod from both partners. Unable to conceal their nervousness.

The grand but intimidating palace evoked the same feeling regardless of the extensive changes made. Both in repairing the building itself and in fixing the problems with the governmental system.

Or, perhaps it was just because, even though they both knew Darius well enough, they were nervous around people in high positions of power.

And because of their, less than ideal circumstances.

Darius, while maintaining a neutral expression and tone, asked an inevitable question that would radiate judgement no matter how he said it.

"But, Ms Blight, you do know that you are already engaged? To a one: "Pirithous Hemlock"?"

Luz and Amity's grip on each other's hands only tightened under the table. Amity's face flushed with humiliation.

But, they'd committed to it.

They were sticking it out.

Regardless of how sudden it seemed given how soon they'd gotten back together.

"Yes, I do. And I want to quietly override that."

"Ami, do, do your siblings know about this?"

Amity shook her head.

The agreement had already been made to help Amity move out slowly. And to have something to fall back on if Odalia did something in retaliation. Amity giving herself a break with a two night stay at Luz's place.

But, when Amity got there, she was shaking. Having been given the "good news" from Odalia right before she left.

Which she of course told Luz right away.

"No. How could I force them to get involved when they've been put through enough? What could they do, anyway? They don't have any say over our parents since we're around the same age."

Luz swallowed.

Despite having been broken up for three years, they were still the only people who knew the other's darkest secrets.

It had been hard at first, the break up wasn't exactly a smooth one.

But, they were still close friends at the very least.

They still cared about each other deeply.

They still trusted one another.

So, after the first six months, it had slowly reached that point again. The one around the time of Luz's first grom night.

When they were close, and when there was something else there, but hidden deep underneath a large heap of: "It's been too long", "What happened was too serious", and "I can't say it".

But, those feelings were persistent enough to make themselves known in certain instances. Ones that would normally be easily brushed off as a friend-like gesture.

Such as right now, when Luz went to hug Amity tight.

The reassuring statements that Luz gave her fell on deaf ears. Amity's face going red, her body heating up, and her ears growing unable to hear anything other than her pounding heart and ringing ears.