Chapter 8

(A/N: Em knows something's up.

So yeah, here's a thing that happened between the last chapter and this one that I couldn't fit in otherwise but was important to include.

I also gave adult Em a bit of muscle, whatever explanation you like works, I can see her helping Viney carry newborn creatures around for various reasons and becoming stronger that way. What do you guys think?)

• Two Days Later •

Luz hoped that the wedding and preparation events helped Camila get used to what the Boiling Isles was like. And the fact that she and Amity were getting married.

Even at the point they were at now, Camila wasn't sure how to feel about the whole thing.

She knew that she still wasn't told the whole story behind the engagement. That Luz was still hiding something.

It did come out of nowhere, after all. And Luz had told her outright that she would explain the rest of the details after a certain point. Not that she had any idea when that would be.

At least Camila seemed to get along well with Eda, at first. Luz and Eda having mutually agreed to introduce her as her mentor, only.

Luz had to be careful with her wording, as she considered Eda a second mother to her. Eda and everyone else was well aware of it. Eda proudly calling herself Luz's witch-mama. And being the person Luz talked to about stuff that she couldn't for Camila.

Luz hoped that all of this would be okay. Knowing that Camila would be fine with the relationship if she knew Amity and Luz were serious about it. And that the situation with Amity's parents wasn't as bad as she thought it was.

They knew they were both serious about it. It was more a matter of making it clear to others. Which was much harder to do given the time constraints and bad first impression.

Luz leaned back against the counter. Letting out a sigh.

How was she supposed to tell Camila about the witchling on top of all of this?

• Meanwhile •

Amity walked up to the doors to the dining room reluctantly. And quietly.

She was all alone, not even able to bing Ghost with her. Only able to hear her shoes as they rhythmically made contact with the floor under them.

She knew what was going to be discussed, who she was going to meet, hence the silence. But she didn't purposefully slow down, or make her distain for her predicament show, knowing it would draw suspicion.

Emira had already called her after the dinner and asked her to talk.

She didn't exactly expect to fool her siblings into thinking everything was okay. They just knew her too well.

But, still...

The pressure was growing much more noticeable, now.

She took a deep breath.

It was going to be fine.

She just had to make it for two more weeks. Then she could finally leave for good and be with the one she loved and their son or daughter.

"Just two more weeks" was what Amity said to herself to keep her motivation up. And to convince her to continue playing along, and enter the room.

She found that she was a few moments early, and wasn't sure if she should be relieved, or agitated that she was alone with her parents and the other couple she didn't recognize but still knew.