Chapter 10

(A/N: Really cranking out the long ones, lately.)

• The Next Day •

Unlike the previous month, Amity didn't wake up on the couch.

She was instead laying in her own bed, Luz's arms wrapped warmly around her. And, despite having gone to bed late and woken up early, Amity felt more well rested than ever.

The couch was comfortable, don't get her wrong.

This simply couldn't be competed against.

They hardly even realized how long they had been laying there until Luz got a text from Vee.

As much as she wished she didn't have to, she leaned forward, pressing a kiss to Amity's forehead and gently shaking her awake. "Ami, it's almost noon?"

Amity groaned, but did get up after a few minutes.

Both of them had to tell themselves that they would be able to enjoy the time that evening.

Luz and Amity had both underestimated how relieving it was to wake up together without having to worry about making Sially suspicious.

Without having to worry about Odalia finding out and knowing where they lived.

Especially since, given the fact that the wedding was happening the following week, Camila and Vee were staying with them. On top of King still being there.

It was going to be nice, Luz hadn't been able to see them much lately.

It was embarrassing to explain the mess in the "guest room" over the phone, however. And explain that they were trying to fix it after taking a pixie nest out.

Camila didn't necessarily understand what an infestation of pixies entailed, but Vee had dealt with enough of them to actually shudder once the words were heard.

The earlier part of that day was peaceful, aside from that.

Amity got sick again of course. But, finally, Luz was able to stay beside her. Holding her close and pressing an encouraging kiss to her forehead.

Unfortunately, King woke up a little while prior. And subsequently heard Amity getting sick rather quickly.

He had heard snippets of Eda's private conversation with Luz. But there was nothing he could realistically piece together.

Was this the same thing that was making her sick at the dinner?

He gently knocked on the door. Making them both look in that direction. "Hey, are you okay, Amity...?"

Amity muttered something to Luz, and the door opened.

Amity had a nervous smile, deeming it safe to get up and wash her mouth. "Yeah, I'm okay. But, can you keep this between you and Eda?"

King nodded slowly. "Yeaaah...?"

Luz rubbed the back of her neck.

Out of everyone, alongside Eda, King was the least likely to be judgmental.

"So, you know how Lilith and Gwendolyn were asking why we're doing this so fast? It's because of what Amity and I did when we got stung by those beetles."

King's eyes went wide. "You finally found out what you did?!"

Amity nodded. "Two weeks after, but... That ritual that we said failed was actually successful, and, now, I'm carrying?"

King blinked. "Like a—? Woah." He looked up with a concerned look in his eyes. "You guys were, like happy about that, right?"

Luz nodded. "Yep! But now we had to rush the wedding as well. Or, I guess we didn't need to, if it wasn't for what was going on with Amity's mom. But, yeah."