Chapter 13

• Two Months Later •

The former librarian had clearly been counting on Amity's continued interest in order to retire. Handing the position down to her with the upmost confidence that Amity would know exactly what to do.

And, she did.

She had worked in the library for over seven years, after all.

Luz had started as the potions teacher, and Raine had given notice and become the bard teacher.

Lilith was even considering teaching one of the classes. Finding that she missed giving lessons to students. Though she didn't know what courses would be available that she wanted to teach.

Darius had been working twice as vigilantly to find a new person who could be the Emperor. Or, in the very least, put together a system so the coven leaders could all chip in to find someone fit.

Even with the castle being completely rebuilt, and looking completely different, it was obvious to the adoptive father that Hunter was uncomfortable staying there, even if it was just for an internship. So he was doing his best to line up another job and find a suitable replacement.

Amity's position as the new librarian was going well so far, but any pride in finally getting the job was dampened a little by the fact that she would need to take leave soon.

And by her still having to look around constantly to make sure Pirithous' family wasn't nearby.

She had a month and a half before she was due, but still.

As predicted, she was starting to feel it a lot more, as well.

Not just with the pressure she felt when positioned a certain way, but with the increasingly bad migraines.

She at least knew to drink plenty of water to ease them.

Unfortunately, the reactions to the news were just as they'd expected.

After the initial shock, contact waned slightly.

They still checked on them, but on an individual basis.

There was no way to ignore the nervousness they were displaying. Either because they didn't realize they were showing it, or because they thought Luz and Amity weren't aware of the risks and wanted to make their concern clear.

Almost like a wake up call.

Amity tried not to get worked up about it, but it was hard. Especially since her emotions were starting to lose consistency.

Not a terrible amount, but still enough to cause the occasional argument that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Not that they weren't resolved a short while after, like most of the small ones were.

Despite that, Luz continued showing her support. Mostly by asking frequently if Amity was okay or needed anything to make her more comfortable.

At that moment, Luz was wrapping up her morning classes, and Amity was sorting books to place back on shelves.

Amity would need to hire more volunteers at some point. Especially when she had to take leave. But she could get by with the help of her cauldron-made abominations for now.

Unfortunately, being the only person working at the library meant being spotted and recognized immediately.

She had only paused to take a breather, curling her arm around her lower chest and letting out a short exhale. Warmth swelling in her chest.

There was a small movement. If this were the first time she'd felt it, she would have let out that same surprised shout in the empty library rather than at home when she was in bed with Luz.