Chapter 5

• The Next Day •

"WHAT?!"

Amity, despite this being a phone call, waved her hand down in a shushing manner. Rushing her words out with a harsh whisper.

"Emira! Quiet, it's—"

Emira was rambling by now. Her words, which were slurred together, indicated a daze preventing her from hearing what her sister was saying.

Amity herself needed a few minutes to actually discern what was being said.

"... I get you guys liked being unconventional and stuff but eight months?! Especially after what happened last time?! What if she does something and—?"

Amity's eyes went wide and she spat out a reply to cut her off. "Emira!"

She took a deep breath, trying to slow down after finally being given the silence she was hoping for.

If this was any indication of how Edric would react...

"It's soon, I get it. But mom's got me—" She glanced upstairs where Sially hopefully couldn't hear. Still quieting her voice more to be safe. "—In the same situation you were in before you left. Only now, the only way I can really leave and override it is if I elope with Luz. That's the best option for us, anyway."

Emira, since before and especially after the breakup, had been rather wary of Luz. To the point where it was noticeable that she was placing distance.

It started when Emira had noticed a scar on Amity's hairline.

While fighting the Collector, Amity had been struck in the back of the head by a stray boulder. And there were several minutes of Luz panicking and sobbing while she held a limp and bleeding Amity and tried every healing spell she could.

One of them worked, and Amity was okay.

But, Luz lost consciousness completely when she saw her girlfriend wince in pain from her sister touching the scar.

Emira didn't have the time to back away before an ice spike flew from the ground and hit her hand. Trapping one half of it and cutting the other half badly.

That was the first of the fights.

After the breakup, Emira had only grown more distant with Luz, mostly after seeing how badly her little sister was affected by it.

Just now, Emira was going to imply that Luz would be the reason why they had issues going forward.

So, Amity was quick to shut it down.

"Look, you don't have to be enthusiastic about it. You don't have to say congratulations, help with the planning, or anything if you aren't comfortable. I'd just really appreciate it if you went." She paused to emphasize her next words. "I know the circumstances are bad. We both do. But I still want to see my sister on my wedding day. Even if you're only there for a few minutes."

The other side of the call was quiet for a moment, but, there was eventually an acceptance. Followed by a profuse: "Thank you" from Amity.

She leaned back against the counter once the call ended. Tilting her head back and groaning.

One sibling down.

One to go.

Edric was more understanding of the circumstances surrounding the breakup. So, hopefully, this meant that he wouldn't react as badly.

Maybe...

She was already exhausted just from explaining the whole "eight months to elopement" thing. Even though it had only been done twice already.