Chapter 15

• The Next Day •

Amity had wanted to go and meet Camila at the portal with Luz. But, because of the weather, and because of the difficulty Amity was dealing with from simply fulfilling her usual routine, Luz insisted that she should wait at the house.

While Amity initially protested, she did take it as an opportunity to make sure everything was ready.

Amity had first contemplated going to the market to get some food so they were prepared—while the shops were still open, at least. She found herself looking out the window to see how bad the storm was. She could make the trip. It would just take a while, and a long lasting shield spell.

There was hesitation for the sake of both Camila, Luz, and Vee being nervous or downright panicked when they realized she was gone.

But, ultimately, the weather was only going to get worse. And if someone didn't go soon, the shops would close, and they would run out of food.

So, that was what she did, although she was as fast as possible through the heavy rain and strong, howling wind.

At least there wasn't any lightning, yet.

And, as a bonus, there was a gigantic canopy of a shield over the market, so she didn't need to worry about the one she was using wearing out before she could use the second glyph she had brought.

There were a few other people who were in a panic to get needed supplies. But the crowd wasn't terrible.

Amity guessed that the majority of it had gone the previous day right as the announcement was made.

Still, she tried to be quick. And it had helped that she had made a list of what was needed beforehand.

Keeping the bags under the shield while she flew back was difficult, but there wasn't much damage she couldn't fix with a few simple glyphs, or just by stitching manually.

They still weren't there when Amity came back with Ghost, setting the groceries down after reinforcing the shields above the house with a few more glyphs.

Hopefully the ones Luz took would be enough. The trip appeared to be taking longer than they were anticipating.

Despite having experienced it four times—although she hardly remembered the first—it was always surreal watching just how intense the storm got.

It was a wonder how those trees could stay in the ground from all the wind.

It was a wonder how there was so much of the rain to be that intense and last that long.

It was a wonder how after only a few minutes, she could hardly see the house that wasn't far from theirs.

It was a wonder how the shields could stay so strong with how hard the rain was crashing onto them constantly.

There was a deep hum from above. Stretching through the noise of the storm itself and reaching other areas nearby.

Amity couldn't help but smile.

As much as she downplayed just how intense the lockdown would get once it started—the main indicator of it starting being the presence of thunder occurring in five-second increments—she couldn't deny that the creatures did sound cool.

She always managed to forget just how low but powerful and massive the sounds were, and, whenever reminded, couldn't get enough of hearing it.

Luz would lose her mind with excitement over it. Amity knew that much.

Amity leaned her arm on the counter, finding the sound of the rain itself relaxing as well. Just watching the rain for an unknown amount of time and not getting bored at any point.