Chapter 1

(A/N: This story is heavily inspired by/based on the Star Vs The Forces Of Evil comic titled: "It's Tradition" made by bitter-knitter on DeviantArt.

It was a comic that had a great concept and conflict, but was cut off/canceled early on. As far as I know it was because the artist got married and moved on from the project on her own.

I don't want it to be completely alike, though I think I went overboard the first time I wrote it. And I missed out on an essential element that made the concept investing in the first place.

I'm trying to have it be a situation that makes sense as something that would happen in the Boiling Isles to Luz and Amity specifically. Plus the other few issues that I added in to flesh out the characters a little more. But, to be blunt, it's partly giving that amazing concept an ending, even if it doesn't fit the exact story.

I would recommend checking it out, but be warned that it does end on a cliffhanger.

Apologies for the length, but I felt like this was important to point out. Hope you enjoy anyway!

BTW: Yes, that is my art for the cover and chapters. Hopefully it turns out as well as I hope it will!

-ChillyMillie13)

• The Previous Day •

Luz blinked, unable to speak, and unable to take her eyes off of what she was looking at.

Amity was next to Luz. The witch having both of her hands covering her mouth, her golden eyes wide with shock and panic. Her attention glued to the same object Luz was staring at as well.

They'd spent the last two weeks after a certain impulse-beetle infestation trying to figure out what happened. What they did.

Eda and Lilith had tried to deal with it alone at first, but Luz and Amity had insisted on helping.

Though, all of them got stung.

The results weren't bad, but Luz and Amity had never figured out what they did.

It had gone from a panic, realizing they'd done a ritual—or at least tried to do one.

To a sense of calm after the first week, recognizing that nothing was happening, so it was either a failure, or that whatever they did wasn't major.

Or that they got distracted when, after they got stung, they went into another room and—

But, midway through the second week, when Amity suffered her first migraine... Luz had managed to use her healing knowledge, and the one symptom, to try and pinpoint what could have happened via a textbook left over from school.

Then, it was back to a shrill panic when Luz's eyes landed on a certain page and recognized the glyph.

She was sure she hadn't even read it. Or that she hadn't fully registered the words she was looking at.

But, the second that one word was seen...

Amity moved her hands away from her mouth slightly, saying something in a tone that matched the concerned look in her eyes. Likely still processing what was actually happening.

Luz had woken her up on the verge of tears from fear. Begging Amity to take the test because it could have been what happened. If it was, they needed to know as soon as possible.