Chapter 7

(A/N: This is a long one, people. Strap in.)

• The Next Day •

"Mm, ready for tonight?"

Amity smiled a bit, holding her fiancé's hand as she was hugged from behind. "Yes. I already checked with my brother and sister, they're coming."

Sially spoke up with a cheery voice.

They'd gotten better at hearing Sially and separating the longer they'd been there.

Amity had successfully done the date setting and potion while Luz handled the announcements. Leaving them with only four events to go.

Announcements didn't exactly go well on Amity's side. But she didn't blame Emira for her reaction.

If anything, it would have felt like Amity was rubbing it in her face, even though she knew it was a requirement.

Sially had been acting a little odd over the course of the past week.

They seemed to be more perceptive and curious with what Amity was eating and drinking.

But, they thought they were at least in the clear from a sickness standpoint. As Luz managed to always find a way to distract Sially whenever Amity gave a cue.

As embarrassing as some of those distractions were.

"You said you were close with them, have you asked for help on your wedding events? You only have a little over a month now and it doesn't seem like your parents or your fiancé's family have done anything."

Amity nodded. "I did. We're actually meeting up with them this evening for that reason. Getting a surprise put together, if you get what I mean." She said the last part with a wink and a grin.

Sially lit up with understanding. "Oh, perfect! I'll leave you to it, then!"

Now, Odalia would be told that Amity was putting something special together for Pirithous and his family.

It was a pretty good excuse to not be monitored that alleviated suspicion, as a bonus.

Luz let out a breath of relief as they walked alone to the place.

That, and the main factor, wound up being their golden ticket—outside of illusions—to halt the constant surveillance when needed.

Amity's brother and sister weren't comfortable with being watched or having notes taken on them, so Sially had simply offered to not go whenever Amity said she would visit her siblings.

They couldn't use something like that too much. They knew they couldn't.

Still, it was tempting.

It was their event/emergency excuse. Which was what they always told themselves to keep from giving in to said temptation.

Amity leaned into the side hug a bit more, smiling weakly. "Just a little longer, I hope."

Luz could only show her agreement through a nod.

In their efforts to keep ahead of the Blights, Amity had scheduled each event to be within that week. Giving them enough time to actually plan out the wedding and any precautions to keep the same thing from happening again.

So, the dance and family and friends dinner were the same evening.

A couple nights later, they would do the light show and the walk.

And between those nights, Amity was supposed to stay with her parents for a first meeting.

But, Amity didn't have to think about that yet.