Chapter 16

(A/N: It's time, y'all. (TvT))

• Three Days Later •

The rain had finally escalated to where everything except for the healing centers were closed. So it was a good thing that Amity got the supplies and food when she did.

Luz's body had adapted to the food on the Boiling Isles over the past six years. It happened slowly since she went back and forth, but she was at that moment able to eat most of the food available without issue.

Unlike before at least.

However, there were a few items that still made her vomit. And a few that even resulted in serious chest and stomach pain. A couple of which also burned her throat, and couldn't be fixed with a healing or pain spell.

This was fine, though, Amity never considered herself a fan of those foods anyway. Learning on their first date that they shared a preference for a specific seasoning. Especially on griffin eggs.

Though, they both had clearly forgotten how little Luz was able to digest when she first started learning magic. Luz even had to ask Eda for a list on what kinds of foods agreed with her back when she was fourteen.

They were lucky they remembered before Camila had to deal with any of that.

When it had gotten close enough, Eda had called to ask if they wanted to stay at the Owl House with them.

For one thing, it was so that everyone was near each other in case of an emergency.

For another, Luz and Amity's place was closer to the cliff where the wind would be coming from. It wasn't likely that there would be a large splash, but with this, it didn't hurt to be extra safe.

But, most importantly...

Luz didn't blame Eda for being worried about it. Though she was growing increasingly calm about the whole thing.

Eda was worried about Luz needing to be separated from her mom in case she got too stressed and blurted her big secret out when there was a question even remotely related to it.

She knew what would be revealed if Luz let it out within earshot of Camila. Knowing how much Luz would hate herself if she let that happen.

The whole reason she didn't tell her mother was because of how much it would hurt her. Knowing how Luz was treated in the human realm by her peers.

Well, that wasn't the only reason Luz didn't say anything.

Luz briefly remembered the night Luz went to Eda to vent her emotions.

She remembered some of the events of earlier that day. It was nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe it was that the insults her classmates threw at her hit her harder than normal. Or, maybe, she was quite simply tired from it. Maybe it was a long time coming. Especially with the breakup.

She remembered the venting resulting in her breaking into hard sobs as she held onto Eda, and continued letting it all out.

She remembered Eda comforting her despite how tired she was.

She remembered that as the moment when Eda promised to be there for Luz whenever she needed it. That she was going to be someone Luz could rely on no matter what.

She then remembered looking at the time, and wanting to curse herself. Curse everything and stay with Eda. She hated when she saw the time and realized she had to go to avoid being caught by her mother.

Luz didn't want to leave.

In the weeks following this, Luz and Eda contacted one another frequently. Eda making sure Luz was alright, and Luz venting whatever the problem was if there was one.