Chapter 4

• One Week Later •

After the first day, and a short conversation with Sially, they got used to having them around occasionally.

Sially had even offered to only come once during Amity's stay for a check up. As she seemed to be learning the material well.

They were able to convince Odalia and Alador that constant supervision wasn't necessary. That she could handle it fine on her own for the most part.

But, Sially still stayed at the house while Amity was there.

If Luz and her went to run errands or train with their friends, Sially would go back to Alador and Odalia.

It wasn't a problem at first. But, of course—given their record—they had to hit their first setback eventually...

Luz was downstairs making breakfast, deciding to skim through a bit of the book after talking with Amity.

The griffin eggs that Luz was making smelled especially good that day, which Amity chalked up to early cravings.

But, the hot drink that Amity normally liked...

Her face turned green, and she tried to take deep breaths to try and avoid the inevitable. "Ooh, what's that? It smells nice."

Luz looked over and gestured to the pot next to her.

She was—to Amity at least—clearly annoyed by the situation. But she agreed that being hostile towards Sially would only make things worse.

They didn't seem to mean any harm, anyway.

"Coffee, it's a popular drink back on earth. A lot of people drink it to wake up in the morning, or because they just like it."

Sially went over, missing Amity's eyes watering while Ghost pawed at her face. Luz going pale as she recognized it. Panicking and trying to think of a good distraction.

They knew this was coming. But they hadn't decided on a good way to keep Sially from finding anything out.

Amity sat up, holding her hand over her mouth and trying to find a way to sneak upstairs to the bathroom without getting Sially's attention.

No such luck.

"Oh, good morning Ms Blight! Everything alright?"

Amity forced a smile.

"Yeah, I just need to..." She looked down. "I need to get changed really quick, you can stay down here."

The second Sially looked down, Amity bolted up the stairs. Slamming the bathroom door behind her as a bout of dizziness swept over.

"Okay. That was way too close—"

Her first experience of day sickness didn't give her more than a couple seconds to reach the toilet.

All because of the smell? This would be a fun five months...

"Hey, Sially? You know all of this stuff by heart, right?"

Sially turned their attention to Luz and nodded, floating over to her.

The page she was on was describing a "lights in the sky" show that involved the couple, and both immediate families.

"So, we have a few traditions on earth for weddings depending on the region. Like, a big one is having rings on your left ring fingers, these ones."

She spread her fingers out as she had them touch. Her middle fingers curled inward at the first joint after the knuckle.