Chapter 2

• The Next Day •

"So, Amity. Do you need any help preparing for Final Duels Day? This will be your most important exam if you want to get into the Emperor's coven, after all."

Amity forced a smile. Having learned the hard way two years prior that there was a lot more attention on her after her older siblings moved out.

Well, after one ran away and the other was kicked out.

Especially since they only visited Amity and other friends. Which Odalia didn't appreciate.

At least they didn't know that any of them were still close with Luz. Well, that Edric and Amity were.

At the moment, they were having dinner. Amity so wrapped up in her thoughts about her and Luz's engagement and other situation that she nearly tuned her parents out.

"No, I'm planning on preparing for the duel with several old classmates and teachers. I'm sure the the way the Duels are carried out is different than when you and dad did them."

"That's true. So I presume Alador and I will only need to worry about shifting our schedules to attend the duel and initiation?"

Amity shook her head. Masking her nervousness and trying to prevent her parents from learning of her intent to stay out of a coven all together.

Well, she could join the Abomination coven because it didn't mean anything, anymore. It was just the clearest way to say that she finished a duel and was therefore finished in the education department.

"I don't think you need to attend the duels, mother." There was a shrill spike of panic at the look that earned her. "It just doesn't seem fair to you and dad! It is a big deal, but it's just one exam that's only a few minutes. I won't even be joining the coven until several hours afterward. That'll just be a waste of time for you."

She knew by now that if she put emphasis on the points that would speak loudest to them, it would distract Odalia from what she was actually saying.

From what made the suggestion suspicious in the first place.

Odalia sighed. "I suppose you have a point, dear. Thank you for acknowledging our schedules."

"That wasn't necessary, Amity. But thank you."

Amity shrugged. "I just would have felt guilty if you both had to wait around all day when you could have been home relaxing."

Odalia chuckled. "If by "relaxing" you mean "blueprinting", yes. But, I see what you mean. A few hours extra should give us more time off later. But we will be there for your initiation."

There was a proud smile on her face that would have otherwise been considered motherly.

"After all, how could we possibly miss such a big moment for you?"

Amity held back from releasing a breath of relief and simply nodded.

I can work with that. It's not ideal, but it'll work...

Amity could already see the gears turning. Thinking through everything that could now be put into that new open space time-wise.

Ever since abomatrons were no longer needed—and since Odalia found a way to get out of trouble with Darius—Alador had been stressing to find new inventions to make that helped a different audience.

Strength testers for construction, perhaps?

Safety nets?

Test-dummies?