Chapter 8

They walked hand in hand to their door. "Shit" Bucky cursed quietly. "What?" Madelyn asked. "I didn't grab the key card before we left" He spoke. "Wait. We are locked out?" Madelyn asked. Bucky looked at her with a forced smile. "Maybe" He said.

"Let me see if I can wake Steve" Bucky said and started knocking on the door. There was no answer. Bucky started to pound on the door harder. "Hey hey there are other people staying here" Madelyn said, stopping Bucky from his loud knocking.

"What should we do?" Bucky asked. "Come here" Madelyn said and dragged him across the hall from the door. She let go of his hand and sat down. She patted the spot on the floor next to her. Bucky sat next to her.

"We are just going to wait her all night?" Bucky asked. Madelyn looked at him and nodded. "Ok" Bucky said. He was happy he got more time with her. They could talk, share their stories.

Madelyn scooted closer to Bucky. He instinctively put his arm around her waist. She leaned into him. He smiled at the small action. There was more thunder being heard from outside. Bucky noticed Madelyn's nervousness.

He put his hand out for her. She smiled at him and slipped her hand into his. "Rest Madelyn. It will be ok. I won't let anything happen to you" Bucky said. Madelyn smiled. "Thank you Bucky" She said and leaned up and kissed his cheek, before resting her head on his chest and letting sleep consume her.

Bucky was happy the hallway was dark because his cheeks were a rosy pink. He smiled down at the girl laying on him. Her soft snores made him smile. He looked around the hallway, no one in sight.

He kissed the top of her heard. "I will always protect you" He whispered. He leaned his head against the wall. One arm wrapped Madelyn's waist, holding her close, and the other hand holding hers. Bucky slowly started to drift off to sleep, enjoying the peacefulness of the hotel hallway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve woke up and looked over to see the bed empty, Madelyn and Bucky both gone. "Oh no" He whispered to himself. He scrambled to get up. He slipped his shoes on. He thought they were take again. 2 winter soldiers for him to deal with.

He made looked around the room noticing their shoes were gone, but Bucky's jacket still hung on the back of the door. He ran to the door and opened it.

He halted his steps. There in the hallway he saw Madelyn and Bucky cuddled up with each other, sitting on the floor of the hallway, sleeping peacefully. He smiled at the couple.

Steve always wanted Bucky to go and put himself out there. He was convinced there was someone waiting out there for Bucky, someone who would make him happy, waiting for him. Steve smiled. "She is definitely the one he needed" Steve whispered to himself.

Steve looked at his wrist watch. 7 am. "We need to go" He noted to himself. He walked over to Bucky's side. "Hey Buck. Wake up man" Steve spoke. Bucky's eyes slowly crept open. "Hey Steve" Bucky said in his raspy morning voice. "Hey. We need to get on the road" Steve said. Bucky looked at him. "What time is it?" Bucky asked. "7" Steve replied. "Yah ok" Bucky said.

He looked down. He saw his and Madelyn's hands still intertwined with each other. He smiled. "Hey Madelyn" Bucky spoke softly, shaking her gently to wake her up. She opened her eyes. "Hey good morning" Bucky said. Madelyn smiled. "Good Morning" She replied after yawning.

She sat up, letting go of Bucky's hand. He frowned at the lost of contact, but he knew they needed to get moving.

"Is it time to go?" Madelyn asked. Bucky nodded. "Yah it is" He spoke. Madelyn rubbed her eyes. Bucky stood up and offered his hand to help her up. She smiled and slipped her hand into his. He pulled her. She gasped at how quickly he pulled her up to her feet.

They followed Steve back into the hotel room. "Do I have time to shower before we leave?" Madelyn asked. Bucky and Steve nodded. Madelyn smiled and grabbed a towel from the table outside the bathroom and walked in. The boys heard the water start running.

"So where did you two go last night?" Steve asked, lacing up his boots, and tying then tight. "We went to the roof for some fresh air" Bucky responded. "In the middle of the night?" Steve asked. Bucky just looked at him. "Yes Steve" Bucky said.

"What happened?" Steve asked. "She had a nightmare" Bucky spoke. Steve looked at him. "She had a nightmare and I was already up. She looked scared so I offered to go with her" Bucky spoke. "And how did this end up with you two cuddled up in the hallway?" Steve asked.

"We came back down but the door was locked. I forgot to grab the keycard before I left" Bucky said. "And you are a heavy sleeper and didn't hear me pounding on the door" Bucky finished. Steve chuckled. "Come on you know I can sleep through anything" Steve spoke. "Yah like that time you slept through the fire alarm" Bucky mentioned, making Steve laugh.

Bucky started to lace up his boots and pulled on his jacket. Right as the boys were ready to go, Madelyn came out of the bathroom, dressed with wet hair dripping down her back. "You guys don't happen to have a brush do you?" She asked. Both boys looked at her. "No" They said at the same time. "Well it was worth a try" She spoke and ran her fingers through her hair.

"Are you ready to go?" Steve asked. "Yes" Madelyn said, slipping her feet back into her boots and tying them up.

They left the hotel, quickly hoping not to draw any attention to themselves.