CHAPTER 1 : FENCING THE INTRACTABLE

Rudhira's p.o.v

"Andar aayiye, Sasur Ji"

Batuk's smile was fictitious. It held greater depth, greater meaning. And I'm sure like me, Baba finds it weird too. It wouldn't be hard for him, for I know the man he is. Behind that I-don't-care-and-I'm-an-innocent face, he sure is hiding something... many things! Something as simple as a mere sight of him gives me chills and I loses it. No matter how hard I try to put back together and act unfazed but I just can't make it happen. That's the power that man holds on me! And I hate it. I hate the fact that I can't be myself in front of him. I hate the fact that I can't be courageous in front of him. I hate the fact that he's used me his entire life and he still does the same. I hate him!

With extreme caution, Indrajit Chakraborty – my father – entered our room with a mysterious smile. I wonder why Batuk brought him here. Baba inspected the room with his eagle eyes, occasionally darting back to the portrait of Batuk on the wall. He might have realized it's our room because soon enough, a frown fixed on his forehead.

"Sasur Ji ap toh jante hai iss ghar mein sab apse kitni nafrat karte hai. Mein nahi chahta ki apka yahan aur bezatti ho. Isiliye apko humare hi kamre mein lekar aaya. Yahan koyi apka apman nahi karega" Batuk instantly jumped in, probably taking note of Baba's frown.

Baba laughed impassively, obviously trying to show he's interested and impressed with Batuk but I know him better. What I don't understand is why Batuk is behaving so sweet to him. I mean, he knows about the past – well, at least a few incidents. He knows how much I hate this man. He knows how this man has messed up my life – our life!

The room suddenly felt suffocating when the memories started making reappearances. Staying with this man in a single room is tough. Though Batuk is there giving reassuring glances frequently, I couldn't help but yearn for Da to be here. He's the only person I trust enough to protect me from this demon. I want my Da now! Though things are heated between us, I know he still loves me, I know he still cares for his little Hira! I still remember that night, that night of my wedding when he asked me to escape. The night I chose Shakha Pola instead of the freedom he offered. If I have agreed to it, I would have been in London now. And we would still be in good terms like before. But of course, I had to choose the opposite. Because the bait for my freedom was my mother's life. Can a daughter ever choose her dreams over her mother's dear life? I can't! And from then on, nothings been the same. And this demon did it purposely – knowing that single decision would break my ties with my brother, mother and... and my dreams.

"Sasur Ji, khade kyun hai? Beidh jayiye na. Aayiye"

Batuk's offer interrupted my train of thoughts and I observed with wide eyes when he took Baba towards the chair in front his desk. Is he insane?! Did he forget that the chair - Thud!!!

"Argh!!!"

...was already broken from the little riot we had this morning.

Baba groaned his tonsils out, trying to get up while his shaky hand supported his back.

"Hey bhagwan! Sasur Ji, ap theek hai na?" Batuk kept his hand on his mouth a tad over dramatically.

"Mein..." Baba gasped for breath while getting up "Mein theek hoon, Jamai babu" he completed with a reassuring smile that never touched his eyes.

"Nahi Sasur Ji! Yeh kya ho gaya!" Batuk suddenly started panicking "Rudhi tumne bataya kyun nahi ki yeh kursi tooti hai?" he snapped at me.

What the hell? Did he give me enough time to even finish that sentence in my mind? And why is he caring so much? He should know I'm not so fond of this love he's showing for my father. I glared back at him in response.