CHAPTER 4 : Part 2

Tapas's p.o.v

No. What do you think? I'm happy that I'm where I'm? No way! I mean, his face is the last thing I want to see in this world. Why am I here then? Well, for Maa... It's true that I despise the devil. But what can I do when I'm left with no other choice but to make sure the obstinate queen of the devil is still alive? I do have to assure the devil's daughter. Moreover, can I ever break the promise I gave to his first victim – my mother?

"Promise me. Promise me you will safeguard the two no matter what. Promise me you will shield them from his devious ways. Promise me you will stop him from breaking them anymore than he already has. Let this words cloud your brain until the last breath you take Tom... I'm handing over what was my responsibility until now to you. From now on, you're their guardian angel. And I hope my son will continue to safeguard them better than I ever did"

I sighed and shivered at the memory – I can still remember my mother's dark grey gaze penetrating into my soul while relinquishing that weight on my shoulders. Shaking myself out of the past, I willed myself to step inside the house of the devil. 

"For Mamma" I muttered to myself.

The moment I stepped inside the house, the eerily quiet air inside immediately send all the alarm bells ringing inside my mind. Usually this place is bustling with unnecessary noise. You can't have a minute wherein you will be lucky enough to avoid seeing someone else – be it servants, businessmen or... women. Unless... Unless the devil is busy unleashing himself. Unless he's so busy 'taming' his queen – as he would call it – which he doesn't want others to hear. My lips immediately set in a thin line. Then I'm just right on time, weren't I?

I stormed through the dimly lit hallways and attempted to ignore the deathly silence surrounding me. Within minutes, I was opening the door to Maa's room but found an empty room. Where they all out of the house? But why would they leave the door unlocked? And how come the guards not be in the front? That just doesn't seem like devil –

A black shadow slipped past the wall in front of me. I froze – my body quickly taking the predatory stance if need be. I waited... waited... and waited. But the blow never came. Was I imagining things up now? I should've known better than taking those mysterious sweets Batuk send me telling he "missed someone with brain" in Roy Chowdhary haveli and that his "ever-wise-and-intellectual-self" is getting ignored and thrown around as always making him so bored with his life to such an extent that he went to sought out some sweets for his "only-friend-with-a-brain" as of now. Those sweets are obviously taking a bad toll on my mind, I guess.

With another shake of my confused head, I turned on my heels and just like that, was hovered back to slam myself to the window sill behind me by a full black-clad figure. All I could see was the sleek shiny black mask while struggling to free my throat from the person's grip around it. I thrashed and screamed, the latter choking in my throat without getting a chance to get out itself. My instincts kicked in and I released one hand in an attempt to punch the person on his face but he was too quick at judging. A second later, I was presented with a knee on my stomach. I groaned in pain and struggled to breathe. After taking a minute to pull myself together, I pretended to punch the person again. He came up with his defence and I took this chance to knee him back. Hah! Take that, you black-clad moron! That's what you get for trying to fool and kneeing Barrister Tapas Chakraborty!

Taking my chance when the attacker released me to clutch at his stomach with a muffled grunt, I spun around and faced him – keeping a good distance from him.

"Kaun ho tum?" I tried to enquire between ragged pants.

Instead of replying verbally, my attacker decided to take out his sword from its holder and held it diagonally against himself dangerously.