CHAPTER 1 : Part 2

Batuk's p.o.v

"Sasur Ji, yeh lijiye apki..." I couldn't complete the sentence as the cup in my hand fell to the ground and shattered into pieces.

"Rudhi" I murmured to myself and ran towards her.

Her forehead had a cut which was bleeding nonstop and she stumbled from side to side pressing her hand to her head. I immediately held her hand and circled her close to my chest, my heart skipping a beat seeing her state.

"Rudhi kya hogaya tumhe?" I caressed her cheek "Yeh chot keise lagi? Dekho kitna khoon beh raha hai" I kept on talking, not knowing what I was saying.

"Dekho na Jamai babu. Kitni laparvah hai yeh! Chalte chalte gir gayi aur mathe par chot laga di" Genghis shook his head in fake concern.

What makes him think I'll believe him after all that he's done? How dare he even speak let alone stand in front of me after injuring her?! Anger swept through my veins and I fisted my hands tightly, my knuckles turning white. Let me show you how you get a cut, Genghis!

I was about to launch at him when I felt Rudhi's hand on my chest pushing me slightly backwards. I gave her a look of warning but she refused to meet my eyes and continued forcing me back. I closed my eyes to pull myself together and opened them to give a megawatt grin. Still holding Rudhi close to my chest – announcing my authority over her, I asked him to retreat to his den.

"Sasur Ji, mujhe lagta hai apko nikalna chahiye... Der kiya toh sagayi ho jayegi"

Get out! Now!

He eyed both of us – especially my protective hand around her – and nodded in affirmation.

"Sahi kaha Jamai babu... Mein chalta hoon"

He nodded at me and his eyes lingered more than necessary on Rudhira. She refused to meet his eyes and I tightened my hold on her. Giving a final smile that didn't touch his eyes, he left the room.

Rudhi held onto me like her life depended on it. I let her stay for as long as she want, patting her head to comfort her while she hugged me tightly. After a while, she released her grip and I let her go hesitantly.

"Rudhi mujhe samajh nahi aata tum uss insaan ke samne itna kamzor kyun pad jate ho! Mere samne toh sherni ki tarah apni zubaan ladati ho! Tum Kung Fu bhi janti hai! Tumhare Baba hai, samajhta hoon. Lekin woh insaan sammaan ke layak nahi hai Rudhi!"

"Batuk thodi der keliye mujhe akela chod do, please" she murmured, looking out through the window while facing away from me.

"Kyun? Mein yeh chuppi aur nahi seh sakta Rudhi! Tumhe batana hoga mujhe! Chot dekhi hai apni?" I walked back to take the first aid kit "Khoon ka bahav ruk nahi raha -"

"Batuk! Meine apne jeevan mein iss se bhi zyada bohot kuch dekha aur saha hai. Yeh chot mere liye kuch nahi hai. Agar mere liye kuch karna chahte ho toh please mujhe shanti do. Mere liye ab sabse zaroori marham akelapan hai, koyi English medicine nahi... Please... Please Batuk"

I stared at the first aid box and her alternatively. Giving a deep sigh, I placed the box aside and left the room without a word – knowing that is what she wanted for the time being.

----------------<>----------------

When I came back after an hour, she was standing close to the wide open window. The cold breeze played with her untied curls but she never noticed that. She was lost in thoughts, arms crossed against her chest and staring out at the twinkling lights of the village beneath her. I retrieved the first aid box and walked in her direction. Standing there for a minute, I waited for her to feel my presence but that didn't happen. Smiling to myself, I cleared a strand of hair from her face and she jumped back in panic. Seeing it was me, she gave out a relieved sigh, her dark blue eyes relaxing slowly. Until now, I thought she had black irises. But now, when the moonlight shined at her, I realize it's a dark shade of blue.