CHAPTER 6 : Part 2

Anirudh's p.o.v

My mind was in a whirlwind, occupied with more than a single thought, all chaotic and crowded. Bondita was having a bath while I absentmindedly made our bed. All the things that happened today rushed through my mind's eye one by one. From our kidnapping to finding Bondita's baba's lookalike, something tells me none of the events were purely conincidental. It feels like Dugga Maa arranged them all in order of a puzzle and she now wants us to make sense out of them, may be club them together to get the larger picture. Bondita's baba, Anushilan Samiti, Tapas' intervention, Samiti's misunderstanding... everything seems so uncertain but grim. Matters will soon get out of hand. Bondita and I have now associated ourselves with a revolutionary group, that too on bad terms. I'm not scared. We have been through things much dangerous and greater. Scared, my foot!

What worries me is finding Bondita's baba's lookalike. As far as I know, Prasonjit Das doesn't have a twin brother. And I'm too sensible to believe in the 'seven people who look alike' thing. Which brings me to only one conclusion.

Nikesh babu is Prasonjit Das. 

Sasur ji must have staged his death to join the organisation. But why? He could have done the same with their consent. Why would he run away when he knows the hell his wife and daughter will be subjected to in his absence? From Bondita's description, I've always perceived him as a kind and loving father who doted on his daughter and even fought for her like I used to do. What could possibly pull such a person away from his family? And if I'm right – which I'm sure I am – what will be Bondita and Sumati Maa's reaction to his reappearance?

A weight on my shoulder snapped me out of the trance and I found Bondita's bangled hand there. I turned to her worried eyes.

"Pati babu!" she whined "Kabse bulaye ja rahi hoon apko! Kahan khoye ho ap?" she enquired in concern, resuming to dry her hair with the other hand.

"Kuch nahi Bondita aise hi" I muttered.

Her eyes narrowed and I knew what was coming my way.

"Ap jante hai na ap mujhse jhoot nahi bol sakte? Yoon hi pakad leti hoon mein. Ab kya chupana chahte hai ap?"

"Mein kuch nahi chupa raha hoon Bondita" I took the towel from her hand and batted her protests away to dry her hair, knowing full well that will distract her momentarily.

I made her sit on the bed and took her long curls into the towel, the soothing smell of jasmine enveloping me completely. The temporary frenzy I went through was ethereal. I continued with my ministrations for a while but decided to open the topic anyway. There was no point in keeping it under wraps. Bondita might seem well on the outside but I know the inner turmoil she is masking. I will give her the space to let it out. If I won't, then who will?

"Bondita..." I started.

"Hmm?"

"Tum theek ho na?"

"Mein theek kyun nahi hogi bhala?"

"Woh insaan... woh tumhara baba ke tarah dikhte hai?"

She froze for a second, a tired sigh preceded thereafter.

"Woh mere baba nahi hai Pati babu"

"Tum itne vishwas se keise keh sakti hai?"

"Kyunki mein apne baba ko janti hoon. Uss insaan mein mere baba ka koyi gun nahi tha. Kitna nirjeev tha woh! Apko pata hai, mere baba jahan hota tha, wahan mano tyohar jeise chamak aur jashn hota tha. Duniya ki saari khushi unki ankhon mein dikhte the. Lekin woh insaan..." she shook her head.