CHAPTER 3 : Part 3

Batuk's p.o.v

Who do they think they are?! The descendants of Rani Lakshmi bhai? Daughters of Queen Victoria? Or is it the over-confidence that comes along with the package of being the Roy Chowdhary bahus? I mean, I could've spotted a disguise flawlessly. I could've acted much better than them. Isn't I the best actor Tulsipur has ever seen? Wasn't I the one who's infamous throughout the village for fooling each and every person that ever crossed my way? What exactly made them believe they were better than me? Me?! Better than Chote Zamindar – um, Zamindar Batuk Roy Chowdhary?! Never! Only in their wildest dreams!

I huffed in annoyance and crossed my arms defiantly. It's just less than fifteen minutes after they left but I can't sit here peacefully! How can I without knowing anything as to what's happening? What if something goes wrong and I can't help them timely because I wouldn't know something has gone wrong? See, there are a lot of loose ends to her so called plan but Boudi still feels it's superior to mine! She and her over-confidence!

I groaned in frustration, breaking the dreadful silence that was killing me slowly. No! I'm not going to sit here and hope for the best to happen. I'm a Roy Chowdhary! I don't idle away. I play!

With a deep breath, I pushed open the door and flew out confidently. However, when I reached the gate of the building seeing two guards in front of it, the possible implications of my suddenly acquired confidence seemed to make its way into my head. My pace slowed and I gulped blankly. Bad idea, Batuk. Bad idea.

"Kaun hai ap?"

One of the guards questioned impassively, dragging me out of my self-scolding session.

"Mein... woh..." I cleared my throat and put on a confident façade "Mein Batuk Roy Chowdhary, Tulsipur se hoon" I clutched both my hands at my back and nodded at both of them with an air of attitude.

Kaka would be proud.

"Haan, toh?" The other one questioned.

My demeanour changed all of a sudden and I stared back at them blankly. Did they just dismiss a Roy Chowdhary?!

Someone ran past me muttering incomprehensible words to himself. If I wasn't caught up in this situation here, I would have easily marked him as insane. However, he stopped in his tracks and turned to look at me. I remember seeing him somewhere but couldn't place my finger as to who he is. He stared at me thoughtfully, scratching his head in the process and suddenly – as though a light bulb had lit up inside his head – he grinned and paced towards me. Am I in danger? Um, rephrasing that – am I in greater danger?

"Arre ap? Ap aise khade kyun hai, andar aayiye" he beamed at me.

Okay... That wasn't bad, was it? I struggled to reply but thankfully, the guard questioned.

"Ap jante hai ise?"

"Hey Kali Maa, chup!" he slapped the guard on his upper arm and turned to give me an apologetic smile "Maaf karna Chote Malik, ise nahi pata na" he then turned to the guards and whispered into their ears "Arre Jamai babu hai, izzat se baat kar"

The guards widened their eyes in understanding and gave me a guilt ridden look. I nodded at them with the same air of attitude and strutted towards the veranda without a care in the world. Well, thank you Dugga Maa! For the first time in my life, Genghis helped me out - though unkowingly. But as soon as I reached the first step, I heard the booming sound of that devil. I'm glad it was just the voice and I couldn't see him. However, rather than the sound, what came from his mouth shook me completely.