Chapter 05 | Stung

Newt had seen them all day, joking around. He frequently notices Cassandra's blushing mess of a face. She and Thomas seems to grew closer, and he doesn't like it.

"Just admit it, Cassandra. You like him!" Thomas pushed.

She groaned.

She was just trying to do her work which was fetching water, and there is this idiot right here trying to push her in confessing her oh so dying love for Newt.

"I don't. Leave me alone, Thomas." she mumbled, as she place the bucket down.

Thomas was a new greenie and therefore, he still wasn't given a specific work to do around the glade.

The guy was about to open his mouth to tell her otherwise again, when Gally charged at them yelling...

"Hey greenie!"

They turned to the firm builder.

"Stop bothering Cassie and go help out." Gally exclaimed.

"I don't know what to do..." Thomas countered.

"Help the guys on the gardens and be useful, won't you?" Gally threw a shovel towards Thomas, who luckily caught it.

"Alright."

~****~

When Newt saw the greenie approach, he raised an eyebrow at him.

"Not much of a help out there, ey?" one of the other glader in the garden said as Thomas approached them.

"Dig up that area, will you?" Newt ordered.

Another couple of minutes passed as they worked, Thomas having lots of questions to bombard.

"They don't try climbing to the top?"

"Tried it." Newt replied nonchalantly as he tied the vines. "Alby doesn't go the way to the top, and besides where you gonna go from there?"

"What about the box? You know, next time it comes up —"

"No, we tried that. The box won't go back down with someone in it." Newt answered.

"Okay, what if we–?"

"No, we tried it alright?" Newt exclaimed, annoyed from all the questions and still recovering from what happened during breakfast.

"Twice, alright? Anything you could think of, we've already tried." Newt leaned his arms on the vine yard.

"The only way out here is through the maze." he explained, "Now look, you wanna be helpful?" Newt threw the basket towards Thomas, "Go dig us up some fertilizer."

Thomas helplessly sighed but did so.

Newt went back to work when Cassandra showed up, beside him. The sandy blonde boy almost jumped in surprise.

"Bloody hell, Cassie!" he exclaimed, "You scared me."

She chuckled and he smiled at her.

"I guess humans being scarier than monsters is true then?" she grinned.

"Where'd you get that?" Newt smirked as he continued to tie the vines.

"A lost memory." Cassie shrugged, it was true, her name was not the only thing she remembered when she came here, those lines also rang.

Humans are scarier than monsters.

Cassandra doesn't get it, but sometimes it fits. Whoever put them here, the Creators in which they called it, are scarier than the grievers. How could humans sacrifice humans?