Chapter 06 | A Shoulder to Cry On

The meeting room was filled with silence. Alby, Newt, Gally, the Med Jacks, Frypan and Cassandra stood inside that suffocating tense room in silence.

Cassie being the one who's always in charge in meetings, pursed her lips and spoke up.

"Ben wasn't on running duty today. He had a day off." she explained.

She looks at each one of them as they nod.

"Reasons are still unknown why he decided to attack Thomas of all people, but the problem now is how he got stung in broad daylight."

Everyone was thinking hard. Cassie pinch the bridge of her nose, feeling her head ache.

"Maybe he got stung by the time he was running on the maze?" Frypan suggested and Cassie snap her fingers.

"Maybe." she said, "but we're not sure, if he did then he would've started showing symptoms by then. But he still survived a night, which is directly impossible if you ever get stung." she stated.

"You're right, Cass." Alby responded.

"But then why would Ben get stung when he's just around here with us?" one of the med jacks ask.

"Maybe he decided to explore the maze today, it could be possible that he got back after getting stung but no one seems to suspect." Newt suggested and Cassie thought.

"It could be possible. But as of that matter, there's too many possibilities. We don't know which one is true, but we must be extra careful. The forest isn't practically safe for now until the Builders get to search it." Cassandra exclaimed, she leaned back and exhaled out.

"I'll break the news to Minho and the other runners once they come back. As for Ben, well, you all know what to do." Cassie glance down, not having the courage to speak about what's going to happen to Ben.

"Right." Alby nodded, "Gally, ready the weapons. Med jacks, tie him up so we can vanish him before the doors completely closes." Alby continued to give orders, and Cassandra walk out the meeting room, not able to hear him any longer.

She walk in fast pace to where her legs take her. When her legs finally gave up, she stopped, coincidentally on the tree beside the lake where her and Newt's favorite spot was.

She dropped down, feeling tired and numb.

Cassandra looked ahead, staring in daze on the lake, trying to comprehend everything.

She heard shuffles of steps behind her and she whipped her head immediately. What she saw was Newt approaching her.

"Newt..." she breathed.

Newt offered her a smile, and sat beside her.

"How did you know where I was?" she asked.

"I followed you." he answered.

Silence dawned over their presence, they stared at each other unmoving, her green eyes clashed with his brown ones.

Soon, Cassie let out a sob and Newt gathered her closer to his side. He let her cry on his shoulder, as he rested his head on hers.

"Why do we always lose one?" she sobbed and he pulled her closer.

Ben and her weren't exactly close, but still, she helped him and Minho mapped the maze. She talked with him, eat breakfast with him, put sandwiches and bottles of water on his bag, see him and the other runners off the maze, she still knows Ben.

Newt stayed silent, not knowing what to say to possibly reassure her, at this point, he had gotten used to throwing gladers out when they get stung. I mean, he's been here for three years, it's hard not to. Even though, he's used to it, it doesn't excuse the fact that he still feels bad. None of them deserves such treatment. But what can they do?