Chapter 11 | Disturb

The cold wind of the night almost made Cassandra wished she had someone to cuddle in for warmth. She climbed up the tree house and leaned her arms over the railings for support.

She was alone with her thoughts.

The view of the dim lanterns and torches around the glade illuminated faint lights on this cold night. The breeze that swift pass her skin made her shiver, but the view was exquisite.

The Homestead where some of the guys were already resting and the small bonfire where a few other gladers decided to sit around.

The silence was comforting. So she stayed a little bit longer.

Her eyes traveled across the huge walls, beyond those were the maze. They were trapped in here, unable to discover what land lies outside these very world.

The glade was her home, something she could consider as her shelter. But you see, the glade do make her feel safe, but it'd never been the first place where she belongs.

Cassandra and the others don't belong here, no matter how much they said they are.

The glade, the maze, this trap walls were never her home. She felt safe of course, but never comforting.

Cassandra heard footsteps from behind her, but did not dare turn back, instead she stared into nothingness.

Someone draped a garment over her shoulders. She lift her head up and saw Newt placing the blanket around her properly. She pulled the fabric closer, and Newt leaned over the railing beside her, not sparing her a glance as he, too, looked over the glade.

Cassandra stared intently at him, wondering slightly.

"Are you gonna say something?" Newt chuckled, giving her a side eye glance. Cassandra blinked and looked away, flushed.

"What are you doing here?" she ask.

"I should ask you the same thing. What are you doing here at this chilly night? Not carrying a blanket?" Newt raised an eyebrow, he saw the girl shivering a while ago.

"I wanted to get one, but I was too caught up in thoughts.." she explained.

"You always have something going on in mind.." Newt smiled.

"Do I? Don't you?"

"What?" Newt turned to her.

"What's on your mind Newt?" she looked at him, and their eyes met.

Cassie could feel herself melt under his gaze, but she tried to keep her composure. Newt could feel his heart throb when he saw her green eyes lit up with curiosity. It was something he found adorable about her.

Her curiosity.

"I have a lot on my mind, Cass." he breathed and they stared for another moment.

It was a mystery how a simple eye contact could create such tension. Cassandra was the first to break the stare and look away, afraid that if she doesn't, her heart would beat louder for him to hear.

A silence fell over them.

A breeze pass by them, but they barely shivered, even though, it was really chilly.

"Why were you avoiding me?" Cassandra ask, her gaze set on the view whilst Newt stiffened beside her.

Right. Shouldn't he be avoiding her?

But when Newt saw her on the tree house, shivering from the cold. He decided in no time to come up and give her some blanket.

But now that Cassie had bring the topic up. He couldn't do anything rather than stay silent.