Chapter 10 | Misunderstanding and Avoidance

Newt wasn't sure where his feet were taking him. He just ran to wherever way he could find. His breathes were ragged, and he felt close to being suffocated at any given minute if he didn't get out the med jacks room.

Her voice repeated the same words in his mind...

"I really like you..."

and the bitterness stings even more when he heard the reply...

"I really like you too, Cass."

It hurts. It isn't supposed to, but it did. Newt was afraid about his feelings for Cassandra. He was scared that the feelings were one sided.

And his fear was granted.

Realization dawned unto him, and he suddenly stopped. His destination coincidentally being the tree: their tree.

Newt's sighs came out heavily, his breathes drawing fogs in the cold night. The moon was rising upon them, and he sat down the dry grass, numb and dazed.

His insides were boiling with anger, sadness, and a shattered heart.

He felt his stomach sunk into the brokenness.

For the first time, Newt regretted for being too late, and for the first time since she came; he accepted he likes her more than he'd admit.

For the first time, Newt wanted nothing but to take risk and make a move on her. Cassandra meant something to him more than he'd thought she would.

After months of getting to know her, she eventually had a special place in his heart, that no one else could replace. Cassandra was the only Cassandra he'll come to love.

Newt wasn't best on trying to understand emotions. So throughout the months he has with Cassie, he never admitted how he fancy her.

But now, if the jealousy was clear then so is his adoration for the girl.

This runs deeper than he thought.

Newt sighed and put his hands in his head. Realizing one thing...

Bloody hell.... I shucking love Cassie.

~****~

The next morning, Minho and Alby visited Cassie telling her they had yet to find the dead griever before they went off the maze for the search again. Cassandra wasn't allowed to work that day, much to her protest, but on a brighter note the med jacks agreed to let her take a walk around the glade.

Only because Cassandra said it's getting suffocating inside the room and she needs air.

Chuck visited her and brought foods, then Frypan with fruits, and Thomas also gave his visit, claiming Newt has been glaring at him all day.

Which made Cassie confused.

A lot of the gladers visited her, asking how she was. But none of them was Newt. Newt didn't visit her since last night, she wasn't sure why. But she's starting to worry.

Usually, whenever she gets injured Newt would be the first one to visit her in the morning and the last one on the evening. And seeing as he hasn't spare her one visit, she was confused and concerned.

Was he alright? Did she do something?

The question repeated on her head several times than she ought to count.

Finally, the afternoon came and she got her chance to stroll around the glade. Maybe get that opportunity to look for Newt and ask why he didn't pay her a visit.