Chapter 15 | Worried

Cassandra was pacing around her room, biting her bottom lip as her mind went to a certain boy. She groaned to herself and dropped unto her bed.

Bloody maggot.

She couldn't get him off her mind.

She tried to sleep, she really did. But the electric feeling of Newt's touch still skyrocketed her heart, making it skip in excitement.

She's never once felt like this before. Because never once had she remembered being in a relationship, and she's certainly new with all these emotions that just sends you in excite.

Cassie opened her eyes, coming face to face with the ceiling.

"He's driving me mad.." she muttered, hiding her face with her arms.

Is it possible to love someone so deeply, you can't sleep because they're on your mind all night?

The very next day, Cassandra woke up cheerfully despite staying late clearing her clouding thoughts about him.

She stretched out her bed, tied her ebony hair in a bun and put some fresh clothes on, before exiting her room.

Sun shone through the whole glade, as she walked towards the Kitchens, taking two bags of sandwich and a water bottle.

Most of the gladers were finally awake, some are even eating already. As she exited, she came across Alby and Minho who were getting ready to run.

She approached them. . .

"You lads ready?" she asks and they turned to her, nodding.

They walked towards the huge doors of the maze, Cassie put each bag of sandwich and bottle of water in their backpacks.

"Good luck out there guys..." she exclaimed.

"Thanks, Cass.." they chorused. Minho and Alby nodded before running inside the maze. Cassie watch them go, hoping only one thing as she murmured the words...

"Be safe."

~****~

Cassandra has finished her work, and she sat on the fallen branch with Chuck and Thomas. Her hair tied into a ponytail as she watched Chuck peel a piece of wood carving it, whilst Newt and Zart worked.

Thomas sat there with furrowed eyebrows and a thinking expression. It's never a good thing when this lad gets too curious.

"Hey, why would Alby go in the maze? I mean- he's not a runner." Thomas spoke. Cassie sighed, she knew he was gonna ask about this matter.

"Things are different now." Cassie explained.

"Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown." Newt added, continuing to chop off the wood.

"In other words, he's the substitute for Ben. They'll find that griever soon and they need to investigate it together." Cassandra stated.

"yeah, but you gonna help?" Newt questioned, turning to Thomas with a raise brow.

"Okay- But he's gonna go back to where Ben's just got stung-?"

"Alby knows what he's doing, alright? He's better than any of us." Newt cuts in.

Thomas furrowed his eyebrows and turned to Cassie.

"What does that mean?"

She gives him a small smile, whilst Newt stopped to look at them.

"It's like you've heard, every month the box sends a new arrival. But someone had to be first. Someone had to spent a whole month in the glade alone," she explained slowly.