Chapter 12 | Adorable Jealousy

Newt was still avoiding Cassie the next day. Cassandra wanted to talk and hang out with him, like they usually would, but she hasn't seen him since breakfast.

When Newt finished eating, he left as soon as he could. And when she took a glimpse of his blonde hair around, it would eventually disappear before she could call him.

Nothing changed. He was still trying to ignore her.

The conversation last night hang on the air of her mind. Newt's possible answer ringing on her ears. What did he want to say?

Regardless, none of them spoke about what happened last night.

Since Newt wasn't around, Cassandra doesn't have company as she slump down the Homestead, watching everyone do their job. Jeff said she still can't work.

"Hey, Cass!"

She tilt her head to see Chuck cheerfully approaching him, with Thomas following right behind.

They sat on both sides of her.

"Hey Chuck, hey Thomas. Work done?" she asked and Chuck nodded.

"All done. I helped Thomas lift some barrels up." Chuck chimed.

"Yeah, but I need a little rest.." Thomas sighed, "Have you gone to the Map Room?"

She shake her head warily.

"It's a long way further to the forest before you arrived at the Map Room. The guys doesn't want me tripping again.." she rolled her eyes, Thomas and Chuck laughed.

"I'll walk you there." Thomas eyes lit up at the thought of seeing another space here in the glade.

"Really?" Cassie excitedly exclaimed, Thomas nodded. "Oh thank goodness, I'd been looking for Newt to take me there." she whined and the guys head shot to her.

Chuck raise an eyebrow, Thomas smirked. She quickly cleared her throat.

"Right, come on!" she blushed.

Thomas laughed and went to support her side.

"See you Chuck!"

"Bye!" Chuck called.

"Won't you punch me if I hold your arm?" Thomas asked cautiously and she laughed.

"I need support to walk, Tommy. Of course you need to hold my arm!" she exclaimed and he grinned, supporting her arm as they walked towards the forest. Cassie's ankle still limping.

"Good. Because I don't want a punch in the cheek for touching you." he mused and she turned to him with a grin.

"Who told you that? Alby, is it?" she muttered playfully and he nodded. They both burst out laughing, making half of the gladers look their way.

"Oi! Keep it down, will you?" Gally yelled from where he stood from the Gardens.

Cassandra and Thomas shared a look, before silently chuckling to themselves.

Newt watched by the gardens, his jaw clench, and a tug on his heart told him enough to look away, biting his lip uneasily.

"Said you got some strong fist the moment you first came in here.." he exclaimed.

"Alby was in the first row seat on that." she muttered, remembering Newt's look of disbelief, making her chuckle to herself.

They entered the forest, and Cassie pointed the way towards the Map Room and they walked further ahead.

"Hey, Tommy.." she started and Thomas looked at her, raising an eyebrow.

"I think Newt heard us... that night and he's avoiding me." she explained, glancing down. Thomas eyes widened.