Chapter 7

The next morning, Raghav woke up early, right as his alarm hit for 7AM, he needed to call Keerthi and check on Amma...and hen he looked to his right, Pallavi was already gone. Good god, did this girl know nothing about resting. Even if she didn't tell me about how she donated blood, she should take care of her OWN health, picchi ammai.

Raghav got dressed and went downstairs...as he walked towards to kitchen he noticed the delightful scent of Pallavi's cooking.

Pallavi, not noticing who was behind her in the kitchen doorway yelled, "Farhad, we have to pack all of this and take it to the hospital, the idli sambar is for Amma, the pav vada is Keerthi's favorite, and there are some other snacks and stuff for the doctors and nurses that took such good care of Amma. You eat some breakfast too before we—" She turned and saw Raghav, quieting instantly and then avoiding his eye.

"I can take the food to the hospital, but why did you have to cook it, you need to rest, you just—"

"I'm fine, and I'll take the food myself, what's left over I'll tell Reddy to give it away to the homeless and poor near the temple later." She turned around and began packing the food quickly, and left the kitchen without a word.

Raqhav, stood there, dumfounded, This Saree ke Dukaan, she used to give me non stop lectures, but ever since...it's like she doesn't care what I do or say anymore...that, what was that word Farhad said...parinda type quality in her...it seems to have disappeared.

Pallavi met Keerthi and Amma at the hospital, her arms full of bags of food.

"Why did you make so much food, Pallavi, we could have eaten in the hospital cafeteria!" Keerthi exclaimed.

"Chup, are you crazy, I'm your Bhabi— well I'm your friend, and I'll let you eat hospital food. You're really crazy."

Amma smiled, "Pallavi, I couldn't thank you yesterday for donating—"

"Amma, what did I say, there are no thank yous or your welcomes in family. Now sit up and eat your favorite idli sambar. Keerthi, I have food for you too."

Pallavi gave them both their tupperware, "ok now I have to go give some food to your doctor and nurses, we can't have them taking care of you on an empty stomach, Amma."

After Pallvi left the room, Keerthi sighed.

"What's wrong Keerthi?"

"Amma, yesterday Pallavi fainted...after donating blood, and look today she's back up and running like nothing happened."

"What? Why didn't Raghav come and drop of the food, that boy, is completely useless."

"Last night he was barely worried for Pallavi when I called to check on her, he saw she had fainted and he was angry, at her! Can you imagine."

Amma held her head in her hands, "I just don't know what to do about him, sometimes I regret giving Pallavi such a life, I don't know if he'll ever change. Or if he even can change."

Keerthi and Amma smiled silently as Pallavi came back in and started to eat with them.

Back in the hospital director's office, Farhad had just phoned Raghav. He had found Pallavi's records, he had to bribe two doctors and a nurse, and then the director himself, but he got them.

"Anna, that doctor was right, Pallavi has donated blood before, just a couple months ago, on the fourth of March...wait"

Raghav swallowed, the questions and guilt washing over him again.

"Anna, it looks like she donated to...Jaya Rao, she donated to Amma."

Raghav hung up the phone without a word.