Chapter 24

As they were driving to the Deshmukh house, Raghav got more and more nervous. He remembered the last time he was here, would Pallavi remember. That night, when he destroyed her life, and a few days later he thought she had destroyed his. He couldn't live with the guilt anymore.

"I'm sorry," he blurted out of the blue.

Pallavi looked at him confused, "for what, did you miss the correct turn or something?"

"No, for—well, we're going to your old house, and"

"Don't worry, I know you're not actually going to avoid a mistake and ask for two mistakes, I trust you," she smiled.

Raghav fell silent. She trusted him? But how could she? He had done nothing to earn that trust. In fact, any time he had thought she had done something wrong, she had done nothing. Even stopping Harish from following Keerthi wasn't wrong. Going to this dinner is a mistake, she'll realize she's much happier there and—

"Raghav, we're here, don't miss the turn!"

Raghav swerved into the driveway, and parked in front of the house.

He wiped some sweat from his brow, and Pallavi took off her seatbelt.

He opened his door, and ran to open hers.

"Raghav, tum teek ho?"

"Yea yea, mujhe kya hua?"

She stared at him, confusion filling her head again. Was he still angry about this morning's joke, or was it the necklace, or. Or, did he regret saying what he said last night?

"Should we go inside?" he asked.

"Haan, yes." she responded, still confused and now worried.

Pallavi knocked first, and Aai and Baba opened the door.

Baba was so happy you could see tears filling in his eyes.

"Pallavi, you came, Amma our Keerthi nahi aayein?"

"No, Baba, Amma isn't feeling well, and Keerthi stayed home with her," Pallavi felt bad lying, but it was better than having to watch Sulochana Kaku throw insults at her or Amma all night.

She bent down to touch Aai and Baba's feet, and then Raghav bent down too.

Baba's face turned from a smile to a grimace almost immediately.

"Oh, you came too."

Raghav stared straight into Saanki Baap's face, smiling as innocently as he could, "Yes, of course, I am Pallavi's husband after all, and you invited her whole family, right?"