Chapter 38

The mehndi started right after the haldi.

"We can't waste time, we want the mehndi to dry before the sangeet don't we?" Raghav announced to the room smiling at Pallavi, who was being seated next to Mansi in the center of the hall.

"In the meantime, I think we should definitely continue entertaining the two most beautiful brides in the city today, what do you think Raghav?" Nikhil added, putting his hand on Raghav's shoulder.

"Of course, but Telugu music first." Raghav added, winking at Pallavi, who rolled her eyes.

The henna artist moved to take off Pallavi's bracelet, "no, you can't take this off...I mean, let me just push it up my arm." Pallavi added, making sure the henna artist didn't think she was being a common bridezilla.

As she watched the artist cover her hands with the most beautiful henna design she had ever seen in her life, she thought about her first mehndi, that time her henna color had disappeared almost hours after her wedding, but looking at the artist hide Raghav's name on her left ring finger, she knew, this time the color would be darker and it would stay longer. She was feeling guilty that she was feeling so happy at the thought of having a perfect wedding with a man that wasn't Mandaar, but Mandaar would have wanted her to be happy, he wouldn't have wanted her to spend her life depressed, running a small sari store in a white sari, with the world pitying her everywhere she went. Her identity wasn't a widow, and after tomorrow, it never would be again.

Raghav looked at Pallavi worriedly, she seemed happy enough with her mehndi, but something seemed to be bothering her. Right then Baba came up to Pallavi, who was halfheartedly dancing with Keerthi and Mansi.

"Beta, are you okay?"

Raghav clenched his fists as he saw Saanki Baap approach Pallavi.

"Baba?" Pallavi said turning to her father, "yes, of course I'm fine, I'm just—"

"Thinking about Mandaar?" Baba added helpfully.

"How did you know?"

"Beta, not a day goes by that I don't think about my son, and I would expect nothing else from his wife, regardless of where she is today," he added.

Pallavi looked down guiltily, "Baba, I miss Mandaar every day too, but I know that if he were able to see me today, he would want me to be happy, he wouldn't want me to spend my whole life lost in his memories."

"You're right Pallavi, but still, I wonder if Mandaar would think you're making the right decision—" Baba started to say, right then Raghav jumped in the conversation and said, "Are, what are you two doing here on the side of the celebration, aren't we all here to celebrate Mansi and Rahul, come on let's dance!"

Pallavi smiled at Raghav, and Baba walked away to join Milind Kaka in a huff.

"Raghav, what you did for Mansi and Rahul, I'll never be able to forget it, thank you."

"Didn't you once say there are no thank yous in family? Am I not your family?" Raghav asked, grinning, no matter how much he loved Pallavi, he loved nothing more than riling her up.

Pallavi laughed, "fine, if I can't thank you, then what will I do to show my appreciation?"

"Hmm, what can you do?" Raghav walked behind Pallavi and wrapped his arms around her.

"Raghav what are you doing, there are so many people here?" Pallavi tried to pull his arms off her waist, but she didn't want to ruin her mehndi.

"Right now you were asking about what you could do to show your appreciation, and suddenly you don't want to be appreciative? What happened?" Raghav grinned.

"Very funny, now let me go and have some sense as to where you are." Pallavi said.

"No, I'm not going to let you go, not until I hear those three words and I win this challenge." Raghav spinner her around by her waist and pulled her close.

Pallavi couldn't even push him away because even if her anger was getting the best of her, she really loved the idea of her mehndi lasting for days after their wedding, "Raghav, you had told Amma and I that you had left your don like behavior behind, and now you're trying to win a challenge unfairly, tsk tsk tsk."

Raghav looked at her and smiled, "hmm, I guess you're right, but mark my words, Raghav Rao does not like to lose." He let her go and backed back onto the floor with everyone and continued dancing.