Chapter 23

Raghav finished his work quickly, and managed to get back home by 4:30. He needed to get dressed quickly but no tie this time. He wanted to give Saanki Baap no excuse to think he was anything but ready to fight. He didn't care if Pallavi didn't want a scene, that Saanki Baap will bring up Pallavi moving back to that house, and Raghav thought about punching him straight in his nose.

Pallavi walked into the bedroom, "Mein ahi ready ho car aati hun, I just need a quick shower."

Raghav considered telling her he needed a second shower, but besides not believing him, she might just slap him.

Twenty minutes later she had changed her sari, and she was picking out her jewelry when Raghav walked in. She was dumbstruck. His eyes lingered on her wrist, the bracelet from last night still on her wrist. He almost let out a sigh of relief.

"No, you can't wear that necklace, that's much too simple."

"Raghav, I think I know about jewelry."

"Really? Do you? You can choose saris all your life, but I know what jewelry looks good with what clothes." He rummaged through her jewelry box, "Damn, what kind of girl are you?"

"I don't wear that much jewelry except for special functions, that's true for a lot of women."

"Well a lot of women aren't married to famous jewelry store owners."

"Raghav, we're getting late."

He took her wrist and took her downstairs to his office. There were a couple pieces in the safe that he figured she'd like.

"This one, this is what you should wear."

It was a heavy gold necklace, it was beautiful, but it wasn't Pallavi's style.

"No, I don't plan to wear my own weight in gold today, thank you."

"Ok this one"

It was gold, with emeralds, but even heavier than the last one.

"Raghav, I don't need another necklace, this simple one is fine, let's leave."

"No wait."

"Fine let me look."
Pallavi started rummaging through the box he took out of his safe, Raghav got irked, no one ever touched his stuff, he got angry if even Reddy moved his table tennis bat. But standing behind Pallavi he could smell the strawberries in her hair, and then he placed the flower coming from her perfume on her neck, jasmine.

"Here, this one."

She took off the gold necklace she always wore, and put on a simple silver necklace, with a diamond solitare.

"But this is so, so simple. This is just some American design that I brought during my last trip, and I didn't even remember it was here."

"It's beautiful, for me, the simpler the better. Let's go."

Raghav thought, who is this girl, who choosesthe simplest necklace from a box of treasures?