Chapter 58

The first and only mistake Raghav made that night was leaving his phone in the car before going into the party with Pallavi.

At the party, Raghav's friends gushed over Pallavi, and he watched as she charmed them easily. As the party dragged on, Raghav found Pallavi and pulled her to the dance floor.

Pallavi smiled as Raghav took her hand and led her around the floor. During the whole dance, their eyes never moved away from each other. Raghav wanted this night to last forever, the smile in Pallavi's eyes, her fragrance, he wanted her with him forever.

In Raghav's car, his phone blinked and buzzed, there were over 10 missed calls and 20 texts.

When the dance was over Pallavi went back to their table and sat down, "Ab kya hua Saree ka dukaan, you don't like dancing with me?"

Pallavi decided to tease Raghav, "Nothing like that, coming here, I just realized how stupid I've been not to take advantage of having such a rich husband," she put her arms on his shoulders as he sat down, "I think I I've been way too easy on you, I expect way more designer jewelry from now on, or—"

"I will smuggle the whole world's diamonds into India if I have to to keep you happy." Raghav said, kissing her cheek.

Pallavi laughed, and then her phone rang.

It was Baba, he sounded in distress, "Pallavi beta, please abhi ki abhi ghar aa jao."

Before Pallavi could ask what was wrong, Baba had cut the phone.

"Raghav, Baba called, he needs me home for something. Let's leave, come."

Pallavi got up and started walking to the exit. As soon as Raghav heard Pallavi's distress and Baba's request, he could feel that something was wrong.

They drove quickly to Deshmukh house, in the hurry, Raghav didn't check his phone. As the car screeched to a halt, Pallavi got out of the car and started to run to the front door, only as Raghav was opening his car door did he see his phone buzzing. After hearing the first voicemail, Raghav's heart fell into his stomach. The good mood he was in, the happiness he had spent months trying to save up for himself, dissipated.

When Pallavi opened the front door of Deshmukh House, the sight in front of her almost made her faint. Mandaar.

"Pallavi, Pallavi, you're here."

In the main hall of the house the whole family was present. Aai's and Baba's eyes were teary, and in the middle of everyone, was Mandaar. Pallavi also noticed a man who looked like a doctor, given the bag he was carrying.

"What—What's going on." Pallavi felt weak, everything was spinning in front of her, but she steadied herself.

Milind Kaka pulled Sulochana to another room as soon as he realized she was about to open her mouth to say something.

The man, who turned out to be a doctor started speaking before Mandaar or anyone else could, "your husband was in an accident two and a half years ago, well, this is shocking news I know, but Mandaar has been in a coma for the past two and a half years. He just gained consciousness a few hours ago. I told him that it would be better if his family come to the hospital, but he refused."

Before the doctor could say anything else, Mandaar ran across the room and hugged Pallavi. She didn't return the hug, it felt like her body had stopped working. "Pallavi, where were you, Aai said you were probably in the shop, but come on, don't work this late. Anyway, forget all of this. Forget everything, I just wanted to see you. After seeing Baba, hearing about his health, and the rest of the family after—after the accident, what you did for them, I don't think anyone else in the world could have done that."