Chapter 53

Raghav, getting dressed quickly, was barely paying attention to what Farhad was saying on the phone, he was waiting for Pallavi to come out of the shower, he had a wedding gift for her. He knew she would think it was too much, he had already given her the bracelet, and that simple diamond necklace that she'd chosen from his safe, but after last night he remembered how insane he had been when he first asked her to marry him. Then he had been furious at her, he thought he hated her, he had rolled up a 2000 rupee note into a ring and tried to put it on her. But yesterday when he was getting the temple jewelry for Pallavi to wear at the wedding he noticed a magnificent diamond in his recent stock. It had been cut, but a very simple cut, and just like Pallavi's bracelet, the stone was set against a silver band, not gold.

He was looking at the ring, thinking about how he would give it to Pallavi, when Farhad yelled on the phone, "Anna, are you listening to me, it's urgent, an elderly person who lives at your old-age home are in the hospital, and his son is threatening to sue for negligence! Obviously he doesn't have a case, but I don't think we can keep up this 'Ramaswamy' charade anymore, Anna, you have to come here."

Raghav was barely paying attention to Farhad, Pallavi had left the bathroom, and she took out the necklace Raghav had gifted her and was putting it on in front of the vanity. Was this the moment, Raghav thought, should he give it to her now? He didn't want her to think he was throwing gifts or money her way, but he also knew that she would love this ring. He got up, the ring in one hand, his phone (with Farhad yelling into it) in the other. He was about to pull Pallavi around to him when he heard a strange voice on the phone, "Listen, Mr. Ramaswamy, or whatever your name is. If you don't get down to this hospital this goddamn minute, I will make sure to sue you for every goddamn paisa you have."

Raghav's brow furrowed. This so called son, who had placed his parent in an old age home, was now not only threatening to sue him, but he had the audacity to take Farhad's phone and then the nerve to yell at him. He made to leave the room, but Pallavi stopped him.

"Raghav," she smiled and fixed his suit jacket collar, "have a nice day. And she kissed him on the cheek.

"If Farhad wasn't such a dummy, I would be locking that door and neither of us would be leaving for any stupid work, the day after our wedding." Raghav complained.

"Don't blame Farhad," Pallavi laughed, "I don't think people get a day off the day after their second wedding." The she went downstairs to make breakfast and leave for work.

Raghav sighed and put the ring back in his pocket, he'd give it to Pallavi tonight. He quickly said bye to Amma and Keerthi, ignoring the grin his sister was giving him. Keerthi would have to make fun of him when he got home tonight. As he drove to the hospital address that Farhad had texted him, thoughts of last night filled his head. Pallavi, who he knew always had that 'courage' like a parinda, had been exceptionally bold last night. He almost missed the exit for the hospital thinking about the way his wife's eyes had glittered in the moonlight last night, how soft her lips felt against his, laughing to himself thinking about how much the both of them had talked and laughed last night.

Finally he reached the hospital.

Raghav's mood didn't get better once he left the car to meet Farhad. It turned out the so-called "doting son" who was going to sue him for his elderly father's injury was a major fraud. Mainly because his father, one of the oldest residents of the elder care home, loved Raghav (though he knew him as Ramaswamy). Unluckily for his greedy and uncaring son, as soon as Raghav entered the hospital room, he explained to Raghav exactly how he had gotten hurt. (This man had tripped over a rock, outside of the care facility, going to get a present for his granddaughter).

Raghav smiled at the old man and then turned to the son, "Listen duffer, instead of being Hyderabad's worst lawsuit generator, take your father home with you to visit his granddaughter. Also, next time you try to threaten me with so much as a gift that I don't like, remember that it is my generosity that ensures your father stays here at a fifty percent discount, so take your greedy attitude and your ugly face, and go bother someone else."

As Raghav and Farhad left the room, Farhad apologized to him for the inconvenience. Raghav waived off the apology, his mood was a little better now, he just had a few things to do and then he could go back home and think of a surprise for Pallavi.

Raghav quickly walked through the halls of the hospital, desperate to get back home, and then as he passed a patient room, he stopped dead, and doubled back to take another look at the person inside.