Chapter 10

Anjali jumped up, and Raghav got to his feet off the table. It was Pallavi, in the doorway.

Raghav looked at her, and then Anjali, and then started to speak, "No this isn't what it looks like, I just—"

Pallavi picked up the silver plate that had fallen on the floor, and turned right on the spot and walked away. No, it was more like she ran.

"Wait, what is that cook girl doing here?" Anjali asked.

"Get out, get out, get out." Raghav basically dragged her to the door and almost threw her out.

He ran to the kitchen, where he saw Pallavi walk in.

She was facing the stove, her head in her hands, she might have been crying.

As Pallavi heard Raghav walk in, she looked up, quickly wiped her tears, and got control of her anger. She had expected this. It's not like Raghav was ever going to respect her or even treat her as a wife. She didn't even want to be his wife, so why was she crying? Why was she even angry?

"Pallavi, listen," Raghav started, "I—"

Pallavi turned around, her eyes red and puffy, but she kept her voice as even as she could, "I don't want any explanation, I don't care, you want to bring women here, you want to go out with women, you want to sleep with them. I DON'T CARE."

"No, that's not why she was here—Listen, she was flirting with me, she pushed me—"

"Ah yes, A 120 pound woman got the better of The Raghav Rao, Don of Hyderabad," Pallavi sneered, "Like I said, I don't want your explanation, it doesn't make a difference to me. It's not like we're really married, and even if we were, I couldn't possibly expect you to be a loyal husband."

Raghav's anger was floating to the surface again, ok she had a right to be angry, but this was getting to be too much. He walked towards her. She moved sideways away from him and now his back was to the stove and she was near the kitchen door.

"Raghav. I do not give a damn who you are with, where you are with them, or why. But—"

Raghav looked at her, why was she angry, if she didn't think he was actually her husband.

"But today Amma is coming back from the hospital, and they will be here any minute, so at least for today, keep your exploits out of the damn house."

"There were no exploits! I was just-"

Before he could finish what he was saying, Pallavi walked out of the kitchen to set the dining table, and more importantly to avoid him, so she could control this confusing rage that was building up in her heart.

Raghav followed her out, "Pallavi, listen." He grabbed her arm, and then pulled her close, "listen to me, nothing was happening, I just had to talk to her about the person who poisoned my food a couple months ago."

Pallavi pulled away from him, "Oh, NOW I understand, that was that girl you asked me about...WHILE YOU HAD ME TIED UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET."

Raghav walked closer, Pallavi backed away again, holding up her hand to stop him from coming closer or saying anything else, "You wanted her to tell you that, 'yes, that evil Pallavi did help me poison Mr. Ramaswamy's food.' So you could kick me out of the house. Well, listen here—"

"I'm mr. Ramaswamy!" Raghav yelled.

Pallavi looked confused, "what?"

"I run the old age home, but I don't use my name because I don't like to bring press to the place."

Pallavi was still confused, "what— you know what, I don't care. Mujhe koi farak nahi padtha. I don't care what that girl said, I didn't poison any food, and even if you make up some bullcrap proof against me and kick me out of this house, I don't care. Does it look like I want to live here?? But today, Amma is coming back, and we need to be mindful of her health, so shut up and keep your girlfriends out of this house today. Can you do that?"

"She isn't my girlfriend!" Raghav yelled, "I don't like her, I barely even know her!"

"Raghav, I know lying doesn't make any difference to you, but I don't tolerate lying. I said I don't care right, you don't need MY permission, go sleep with a hundred women for all I care, bring them up to our—I mean YOUR bedroom. But not today."

And she went upstairs, her voice breaking with the last few words.