20 | twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY | ❝When The Halloween Turns Bloody (Literally!)❞

┈┈┈┈

"I SWEAR TO GOD these people have unicorns wedged between their asses," I grumbled under my breath while pulling the hood of my sweatshirt closer to my face.

The main square of Victoria Falls buzzed with the warmth of laughter and joy as people poured on the streets, their joyous faces shimmering under the maze of vibrant colors. The soothing smell of caramel and pies wafted through the air as the constant stream of customers kept flooding into the bakery shops, large packets of sweets and chocolates already dangling from their wrists.

Halloween had never been a dull holiday for me. Unlike Maria, I actually enjoyed going out, dressing up as ghosts, vampires, or fallen angels. My foster parents' blatant ignorance towards me gave me the perfect scope to sneak out and go trick-or-treating with the kids of my neighborhood.

And even when I moved out from their houses and shifted into my own apartment with Maria, I did not stop the custom. But ever since my own life turned into the next installment of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I barely found this faux celebration of horror amusing.

A peal of laughter fluttered through the black device pressed to my ear.

"Nah." Christina giggled. "You're just bitter because you didn't get the CDs."

I grimaced at the mention of the incident.

Being a sucker for horror and slasher movies, Halloween meant nothing to me without having a Scream movie marathon. However, since my own set of CDs was left at an ex-boyfriend's house - who I had no contact with, I decided that it was time for me to visit the shop and get a new one.

However, when I found that the stock had been exhausted after waiting for an entire hour, I was practically livid. I had kept giving the other customers a sour eye while I rushed out of the store - huffing, and cursing.

"Please," I scoffed as a group of kids shuffled past me, their screams of 'Trick or Treat' drowned out by the town music. "Halloween has no meaning without Scream."

Christina snorted. "I prefer to disagree. 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' just works fine for me."

"Well, that explains your horrible taste in movies," I retorted as a small grin cracked over my lips.

"Hey!" she protested, but I could hear the laughter in her voice. "Rude."

I laughed - my shoulders swaying slightly as I felt myself relaxing for the first time since that day in Taylor's house. It was almost as if I was just a normal teenager who was planning to enjoy Halloween with her friends. A teenager who didn't have to worry about being murdered or get caught up in the paranormal world.