05 | five

CHAPTER FIVE | ❝Some secrets are better left unravelled❞

┈┈┈┈

CAMERON CLUTCHED HIS stomach tightly - his jaw clenching as he let out a groan. However, some of the earlier agonies had left his face, and instead, his grey eyes glinted with anxiety. His biceps flexed rigidly under the fabric of his blue t-shirt and his breathing had hiked up a little. His eyes roamed around the canteen warily until they settled on the advancing figure of his brother.

Carter pulled him by the collar of his t-shirt and I saw Cameron obeying him silently, even though his jaw was clenched shut. Carter was about to drag his brother out of the room when his stony gaze swept over the cafeteria once until they settled on me.

A heaviness settled in the pit of my stomach but I tried to ignore it.

"No one should report this," he drawled, his voice cold and assertive.

And then he dragged Cameron outside - the blue double doors slamming loudly behind their receding bodies. A choking silence enveloped the cafeteria as every one of us kept gaping at the door with our mouths wide open.

Until I felt something snap within me.

Immediately, I weaved through the people gathering in front of the door - trying desperately to reach the exit. But before I could turn the knob of the handle, I felt soft fingers wrapping firmly around my arm.

I turned around to find Christina tugging me back into the crowd.

"What are you doing?" I asked, surprised at how effortlessly she was pulling me despite her being shorter than me.

"Krystal. As much as we like your concern please leave this matter to us now," she said curtly although her features were soft - almost as if she was trying to maintain cool composure.

"Chris-" I began but she held up her palm, silencing me.

Her tone is cold and her movements robotic. Like they were well-practiced. Her brown eyes lacked the usual warmth and her pink lips were set in a straight line. Her jaws clenched and her other hand was closed in a fist. It was as if she was stopping herself from doing something rash.

"Krystal, stay out of this," and with that being said, she left the cafeteria with a population of students gaping at her back, including me.

Her words reminded me of the first day. Those exact words were said by someone who owned an extremely blue pair of orbs.

Carter Harvey.

By the time she left, people had already started filling out as we were also making our way to the exit. My head was still spinning with a thousand questions, which I tried to ignore.