19 | nineteen

Content warning: Gore and violence. Kindly proceed with caution. 

CHAPTER NINETEEN | ❝When An Immortal Dies❞

┈┈┈┈

THE COOL SMELL of wood mixed with a twinge of honey and orchids flared up my nostrils as the harsh gust of wind hurtled past my body. A thin string of sunlight glided over the broken glass of the window – bathing the room in a sick glow, as I stared horrifyingly at the scenery in front of me.

My breath got trapped in my throat as my eyes traced the limp body pinned to the bright yellow plasters of the wall – her head hanging carelessly low and her hands tied together, with nails digging in each of them.

The fizzling glow of the dim light above my head washed over us – making her porcelain skin gleam a ghostly pale shade. The strands of her shiny blonde hair – now matted with blood – streamed down her shoulders, sticking to her neon pink tank top. Brown smudges ran across the lifeless skin of her hollow cheeks as I dared to look into the vacant crypt of her lifeless blue eyes.

"Is she..." The words got caught in my tongue, but I knew the answer before I heard it.

"Dead," Cameron replied – his voice barely above a gentle whisper.

My stomach churned and a slab of dread slid over my gut as I finally let the reality sink in.

Taylor was dead.

And this time for real.

I didn't know how to feel about it. Last night when I thought she was dead, I didn't really care; and maybe it was because of the adrenaline rush. But right now when her rotting corpse lay in front of me and the hostile layer of silence wrapped around my throat – a mind-numbing coldness festered through my body. It wasn't out of loss, but of helplessness.

"We need to get out of here fast," Cameron spoke hurriedly as he marched towards me, the loud clacking of his boots bouncing off the thin walls. "Nathianel's been here."

A painful jab of shock coursed through my body at hearing the name. I glanced up at him in surprise.

"What?" I asked. "But how do you know that?"

"His signature – ripping out the vampires' hearts," he replied darkly while cocking his head towards Taylor's body.

A new swell of nausea bubbled within me as my eyes fell on the dark, maroon triangular organ lying by her feet. The torn arteries and veins dangled from its head – leaving a thin trail of blood on the cold floor.

"But I thought the hunters couldn't enter a vampire's house?" I asked, remembering the time when Carter explained to me why I was safe in their house and not mine.

Cameron sighed – his shoulders drooping down and sinking into his body. "It was under Erik's name."

Erik.