16 | sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN | ❝Guilt & Conversations❞

┈┈┈┈

THE COLD WINDS fluttered past us hastily as we walked towards my dorm. There was a hollow and suffocating silence that enveloped us completely while I bent down to pick my keys that were under the mat. 

A strong gush of wind greeted us coldly as I entered my flat, Carter following me closely behind. One of his hands was wrapped gently around my waist while one of mine around his neck - as I supported my weight on him.

My fingers danced over the wall until they landed on the cold plastic outline of the switch. Flicking it on, it took me a moment for my vision to re-adjust to the surroundings of the room. A familiar feeling of serenity washed over me as my hazel orbs wandered over the small pieces of furniture decorated across the room.

This was my home, my real shelter and somehow I felt peaceful here – even if it meant danger from the hunters. My thumbs itched to run across the rough plasters of the wall, which I had suddenly grown much attached to. I wanted to dash towards my bedroom and scoot under the soft and plush duvets – thinking that this was all a fucking nightmare. Thinking that everything would just be the way they were before my life tumbled down the stairs of normality to the cold and hard floor of insanity.

I huffed out hot air when I landed on the ragged plush seat of my couch, my right arm dangling awkwardly in the air as Carter pulled away from me.

My shoulders and limbs felt stiff and my left leg throbbed with excruciating pain as I leaned back on the headrest, my breaths coming in huge gasps.

I scanned the room with my eyes until they settled on the wall clock behind Carter – the time reading one am. My eyes widened. During all the time we spent searching and thinking about Maria, I never realized how late it was until now.

I stifled a yawn when Carter seated himself beside me, the sofa dipping to his side and I had to grip the handle to prevent myself from leaning towards him.

He shifted his weight closer to me, and I could smell the fruity odor of his shampoo mixed with the rough scent of his body sweat. My mouth parted a little when he pulled my injured leg over his lap, one of his warm palms wrapping gently around my ankle while the other one hastily untied the laces.

I wanted to wrench away my leg and maybe even shout profanities at him, but my mind and body felt too tired to respond to his actions. Everything felt so surreal and yet too horrific to be a dream. It looked like my life had turned into a supernatural drama since the last two weeks, and I was left in the middle of a jungle with fucking blindfold on.

My heart trembled when images of Maria, baring her fangs at me flashed through my mind. I didn't know what to think or feel. I was completely torn between feeling devastated for the lives of the three innocent girls and remorseful at how terribly it was going to affect Maria.