18 | eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN | ❝When The Reality Sets In❞

┈┈┈┈

A BITTER AND moist wind wisped past my arms as I climbed out of Cameron's bike. My eyes roamed around the relatively crowded parking lot as I struggled to find an empty spot. Holly Heads was like a mini New York city replica in the form of a four-walled building, especially on the weekends considering the limited options our town provided for parties.

"Cam told to meet up with the owner," Carter announced while I parked the bike in the only remaining corner.

I nodded curtly – not bothering to provide a reply. Darkness still fogged my brain like a heavy cloak and his behavior earlier was definitely an added bonus to it. Not only was it unjustified but also over-exaggerated. Neither did I beg Christina to tell me, nor was it my fault that she trusted me.

However, despite the rage, I felt towards him, a thaw crept up my heart when the images of his vulnerable state reflected behind my eyes. I just couldn't overlook the heartbroken and deceived look that contorted his face.

And even though, I hated to admit it, but a part of me knew that he was right. I wouldn't have been able to take the situation lightly either if Maria told him or anybody else about my parents – the topic that still created a film of gloom in my core.

My thoughts came to a halt when the aroma of beverages and spicy food mixed with a hint of sweat invaded my nostrils. My eyes lazily roamed over the clusters of people swarming the diner. High pitched giggling of some teenage girls and the hollering of the sports guy rung painfully in my ear. I pushed past some of my co-workers while slipping a polite smile onto my face.

I groaned. Thankfully, I never attended the weekend shifts - partly because I was strongly allergic to this rush hour and partly because I used to spend the day with Maria, watching movies, doing shopping, and stuff.

I swallowed and willed myself not to think about her right now. Especially when I had more important things to worry about.

I blew out hot air as I pushed past a blond girl, causing her tray of food to tremble a little as my shoulder bumped against it. She threw me a red glare but her curse words were cut off when Carter unintentionally shielded my body from her vision as he fell in step beside me – his shoulders brushing against mine.

A sigh escaped my lips as I messaged two fingers over my throbbing forehead. I scanned the crowd in front of me until my gaze fell on the familiar mop of curls. Jack was standing at the farthest corner of the diner – half of his face shadowed while the other half illuminated by the dim light, making his blunt features look soft.

"Hey," I greeted as I steered myself into the clearing in front of my boss's desk.

His cold brown eyes flicked upwards to meet my hazel ones and I dipped my glance downwards to see the paused screen of the porn on his phone. I bit my lower lip to cover up the grimace.