01 | one

CHAPTER ONE | ❝New Guys And New Beginnings

CHAPTER ONE | ❝New Guys And New Beginnings.❞

┈┈┈┈

A DROP OF SILVER sweat rolled into my eyes, causing them to burn as I bent my upper body forward, I hastily rubbed them when I caught a glance of my reflection in the mirror. My hair was tied in a tight bun, except for a few stray strands framing my face. My hazel eyes had a red rim surrounding its pupil, probably due to the invasion of sweat, and my pink lips were stretched into a thin line. My usually fair skin was flushed in the cheeks and my chest rose up and down heavily as I gasped for air. The satin fabric of my black pajama clung to my body as my collarbones glistened with sweat.

My eyes wandered to the bedside clock and realizing, I still had enough time to get ready for school, I stood up lazily. My lower body ached and I stumbled a little as I reached for the towel kept on my bed. Stealing a final glance at the mirror, I finally walked into the washroom.

I felt a lot better after freshening up as the horrible smell of sweat was washed away and now, I felt like I could finally breathe. I looked outside the window while drying my brown hair. The sky was unusually darker today as clouds blanketed the entire town. The summer in Victoria Falls never feels like summer. It's always gloomy and has a sense of deep darkness to it which I could never figure out. However, today was extra inky and something about it didn't just feel right to me.

I loved Victoria Falls, considering it was my hometown. I had every memory here from childhood to adulthood. I'll be completing high school this year and the next year I'll be all the way across the country in California studying at UCLA, doing a major in Psychology. The thing was that in a small town like this, there was very little chance of getting a well-paid job, and considering my lack of family line, I had to provide for myself.

My mother died while giving me birth and my father abandoned me when I was just seven years old. I can't really blame him and call him an ungenerous dick because he did leave me with shelter and even though it could barely sustain the rain, it was still better than nothing. He always used to tell me that I was a mistake and when I was a kid I never understood the meaning of that.

But now I do.

The surprising part of this was that it didn't hurt me with the magnitude it should. Turns out when you don't have any parents and get transferred from one foster home to another, after being apparently labeled as a brat, it really fucks with your emotions.

My internal rambling came to a stop when I heard Maria's soft voice coming from her bedroom.

"Hey, Krys! Can you come over for a sec?" she asked, her tone lacing with a twinge of worry.

Maria Jordan was the only person in the world who understood me and accepted me for who I was, not who I was supposed to be. Since childhood, I had always faced trouble in socializing with people. It wasn't because I didn't want to, it was just because I couldn't.