13 | thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN | ❝Family Feuds & Apologies❞

CHAPTER THIRTEEN | Family Feuds & Apologies

┈┈┈┈

THE BRIGHT LIGHT of the basement caused a weird irritation on my skin as a heavy feeling settled on my eyelids. I was sitting on the floor leaning against the cold wooden surface of the coffin, my thoughts going overdrive with each passing second. Christina was pacing around the room with fidgeting her fingers and frequently intaking sharp breaths. Carter, on the other hand, was completely still. He kept on clenching and unclenching his jaw, his eyes gleaming dangerously as they were fixed on the scenery outside the window.

I wanted to cry, to scream. But my throat felt closed as tears were stinging behind my eyes, threatening to spill any moment now. My heart was in a frenzied overdrive and I didn't know what to do. I could blame them, shout at them but truth be told, I was equally at fault. I didn't stay with Maria. Instead, I was busy with my life, discussing crushes, teasing Latan, and having the moment of my life.

The echo of heavy footsteps jolted me awake from my train of thoughts, causing me to look up through my heavy lids. Cameron walked into the room, his red-colored shirt wrinkled in the bottom and his dark black hair ruffled atop his head. He looked distressed as his deep grey eyes wandered frantically around the room, finally settling on the dark brown wooden coffin. A wisp of air escaped his thin and purple lips as his grey eyes met my hazel ones, a storm raging within them.

"Where's she?" he asked, taking in all of our faces with utmost bewilderment.

"I don't think we would be standing here if we knew," I retorted.

Carter, who had been dead silent for the past half an hour, finally broke free of his stance. There was a deadly and almost murderous glint in his blue eyes as he took a deliberate step towards Cameron.

The constant ticking of the clock and my deep breaths were the only things that pierced through the vacant and thick silence in the room. The air suddenly felt quite suffocating as I realized that I was witnessing a stand-off between Carter and Cameron, the latter one having an equal challenging glimmer in his lustrous grey irises.

"Why don't you tell us where's she, little brother?" Carter drawled, his eyes fixed on his brother.

However, before Cameron could open his mouth, Carter had already pinned him to bright yellow walls of the basement - his large fingers grasping the wrinkled collar of his brother's shirt.

Cameron's eyes widened ever so slightly, but he quickly morphed it into a glare of his own. His slender fingers immediately wrapped around Carter's tanned wrist, but he didn't try to move it.

"What the fuck?" he gritted through his teeth as a feral look settled in his gaze.

"Weren't you supposed to keep a watch on Maria? And now she's missing? This isn't coincidental at all" Carter retorted with a sneer, his eyes holding an equal menace.