02 | two

CHAPTER TWO | ❝Dead bodies and pancakes❞

┈┈┈┈

THE HALLWAYS WERE filled with the usual cacophony of students busting and rushing through. The inky blue lockers were covered with posters of the upcoming prom - something that I clearly loathed. It wasn't because of my null socializing skills, but mainly because I had a bad memory surrounding it, something I clearly didn't want to recall now. So, instead of focusing on the garbage surrounding me, I continued my day by toddling from one class to another.

The day stretched on longer than usual and soon I found myself already getting tired of it. I had cheerleading practice after school and then I was supposed to go to the Holly Heads. I hated working there. I wasn't exactly broke but I did have to try a lot to meet the ends. And the most annoying thing was that the customers that usually stopped by HH only knew one thing. Instead of grabbing food, they grabbed asses of the waitresses and this always infuriated me. Once I was on the verge of losing my job because a customer accidentally grabbed my ass and not being able to tolerate it anymore, I punched him square in the face, which had more effect on him than I intended to. He had a broken nose and was severely injured. I had to beg my boss and promise him to be more patient the next time, even though there was not an ounce of guilt in me. Luckily, I did not have to pay the medical bills either.

However, my thoughts came to a halt when I reached my next class. I looked into my schedule and groaned. Calculus. I hated that. Scratch it, I loathed it. Not only did I understand anything about the subject but also Maria was not here and hence I was kind of alone except those pathetic cheerleaders who I ignored on regular occasions. All they ever knew was makeup, dresses, jewelry, gossips, and boys. But the most irksome thing was their beady judgemental eyes that infuriated the shit out of me.

I could have easily bunked the class if I wanted to, but I hated bunking alone. And since Maria chose history over me, I had no one to accompany me in this misdeed. So, instead of sulking around, I walked into the classroom only to find the teacher asleep - as usual.

I scanned the whole room for an empty seat and my eyes finally landed on one in the back - right next to the annoying and the biggest jerk in the world, Carter Harvey.

Annoyance instantly filled my nerves as I walked towards him and slumped my bag onto the desk next to him - with a huff. He looked up at me questioningly but didn't say anything. He was leaned back on the chair, his arms resting behind his head, causing the muscles of his biceps to bulge underneath the slim fabric of his t-shirt. I tried not to look at him much as I seated myself beside him - the scent of aftershave and outdoors instantly cocooning me. So, in an attempt to divert my attention, I took out my phone and started scrolling through my Instagram.

The class held a comfortable silence, only accompanied by the soft snores produced by the teacher and the few snickerings of the students in the backseats.