12 | twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE | ❝Crushes & Missing Vampire❞

┈┈┈┈

THE REST OF THE week had passed by in a blur. Christina and I had surprisingly gotten closer than ever and I prayed that I didn't have to regret the decision. Even Cameron would sometimes tag along with us. However, it was only a few times because mostly he was exceedingly shy and the rest was because of him remaining aloof with Taylor. Neither Christina nor I liked it one bit, but then again, it wasn't our place to say anything. Besides, Christina believed that whatever was going on, Cameron had a reason to do it. So I didn't give much thought to it either.

Carter and I, on the other hand, had kept our cold war going on. We didn't even acknowledge each other, except for a few nods in the breakfast table and him driving me to Leslie's regularly after my shift at Holly Heads was over. Sometimes, when I had free time I would hang out with Christina and some of my co-workers there, but Carter had never joined us. And I was inexplicably glad about that.

Another good thing that resulted was Leslie Adams. Throughout the week, I realized she wasn't as bad as I had initially thought of her. In fact, the more I knew about her, the more respect grew within me for her. She had been an assassin, which explains her marvelous fighting skills. However, her life hasn't much been easy either. Her parents had abandoned her for being a daughter and she somehow shared a horrible past with the hunters. I didn't know the details, nor would I want to until she was comfortable enough to tell me. Leslie and I were not buddies. In fact, we were not even close to being friends but somehow, within all these days, I think we've both established a relationship of mutual respect towards each other. And I was content with it.

I think being the key to their doom had one advantage though. I didn't have to become a part of their food chain.

I laughed internally at the thought.

Never did I once think that I would have to worry about being literal food. But then again, never did I also think that I was born to trigger an apocalypse. So that's fair I guess.

My train of thoughts came to a halt when Christina nudged me with her elbows. Our school had ended an hour ago, but I had cheerleading practice and so did she. So we both decided to walk home since neither Carter nor Cameron was there to pick us up and I didn't get the time to go back to my place to retrieve my motorbike.

"You okay?" Christina enquired as her serene features morphed into one of those concerns. The dim lights of the hallway cast a dark shadow on her face making her olive skin look darker and her rosy cheeks look pinker. Her long brown hair was left open at the sides and her plump red lips were turned down in the corners as she peered at me, through her long lashes.

I nodded at her and then chuckled, "Why won't I be?"

"Well let's see," she started ticking off her fingers.