15 | fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN | ❝When They Cared❞

┈┈┈┈

THE SOUND OF my haphazard heartbeats filled up the everlasting void canopying the garage. My eyes wandered to the black windshield of the car behind Maria and I cringed at my reflection. My hair was all ruffled and some strands were stuck to the moist skin of my neck. My camisole clung tightly to my lean figure, almost like a second skin. Slowly I traced my eyes upward, to meet my hazel orbs rumbling with a disoriented storm.

Unwillingly, I dragged my gaze back towards Maria and I had to push away the guilt gnawing at me for fearing her. Right now, the person in front of me wasn't my best friend.

She was a vampire.

And it was time for her hunt.

The malicious sneer on her face refused to fade away as she reached out to grab me, her eyes glinting with mischief. She ran her tongue over her orange bottom lip, wiping away the previous trail of blood.

My palms were clammy and beads of sweat condensed on my forehead. I tried to move my leg. Tried to run away from her. But I couldn't. It was like my leg had lost its ability to move.

But before her fingers could grasp my wrists, I was yanked away from her with a great force, the motion catching me off-guard. I lost my footing and was about to fall down when my palms caught hold of the edge of the wall – my grip strong and firm on it. I dipped my head downwards to find my body almost hovering over the ground. Gritting my teeth, I pulled myself upwards, my slender fingers almost slipping off the wall.

I looked up with wide eyes to find Christina standing in front of Maria, her petite back towards me. Her yellow tank top stuck to her body firmly, highlighting the faint outline of a tattoo underneath the fabric.

"Aaagh! Let me go. I swear to God-," Maria yelled.

Even though Christina was shorter than her, there was no doubt that she was the stronger one. In a quick and graceful manner, she pinned Maria's wrists behind her back and pushed her onto the yellow walls. I could see her struggling against Christina's steady grasp, her long pink nails digging into Christina's white flesh.

It was Cameron's voice that dragged my eyes from them, towards him. He was half-sitting near the heap of bodies, his jaw clenched and nose turned down. His translucent grey eyes were focused solely on me as he dragged his teeth across his thin bottom lip.

"Get to Carter. Go back to your dorm," his grave voice sounded assertive, almost as if he was commanding me. But I didn't object to it this time, understanding that it was the most rational decision.

His eyes roamed back to where Christina had successfully tamed Maria, somehow. Then back to the heap of dead bodies.

"We'll take care of this," he added, weaving his slim fingers through the thick maze of black curls.