12 Roses (Gabe x reader)

I walked up to the front door of my house after a relatively tiring day at my office job. My hair was a mess, even though it was pulled back the whole day. My feet were killing me, and I just wanted to go to sleep. However, when I got to my front door, there was a note and a rose on my front door. The note simply read, 'The words come from the heart, but the most beautiful words I hear are the ones from your lips.'

"What is this?" I said out loud, completely confused."

Then I saw the next line. 

'Follow the clues to find me. -Gabe'

So it was something my boyfriend had set up. I was so tired, I almost got mad at him for making me go on some sort of scavenger hunt. At least this one was easy. We always sit on my couch and I read the book I was currently reading out loud to him while he laid with his head in my lap. He always tells me that he likes it better when I read to him than when he actually reads it himself.

I unlocked my door, having grabbed the note and the rose off my door. When I walked inside my house, I headed to the living room. On the bookshelf, where I kept my books, there was a rose placed between the spines of the books. I pulled it out, and out came a folded card attached to the stem of the rose. I untied the string and opened the card.

This one read, 'Your  love of books isn't the only thing I love about you. I love the way even animals are attracted to your magnetic personality.'

After I read the clue, I couldn't help but laugh. The reason animals are attracted to me was a very funny story. It was how we first met, actually. It was back in high school. I was trying to do my homework when a random goose from the pond came up and snatched my homework paper. I was so startled I let out a scream. Gabe came over to see what happened. He tried to save my homework from the disgruntled goose, but geese are scary and he eventually gave up on the fight. He came back to the bench I was doing homework on. He apologized for not being able to save my homework and we found out that we were in the same class. He even stood up for me when the teacher confronted me about a goose stealing my homework.

I smiled, recalling the memory of how we first met. If that goose hadn't stolen my homework, I might not have met my boyfriend of three years.

The peace of the night made the park look even more magical than it did during the day. I walked to the bench where the goose first stole my  homework. There was a goose standing on the shore of the pond. I sat down and felt the soft brush of rose petals against my palm. I picked the flower up and saw the faint outline of the rose and the piece of paper tied to it. I turned the flashlight on my phone and read the note.

'Even though the teacher didn't believe you, at least the goose and I knew the truth. Your next clue will be where the heavenly light reflected in your beautiful eyes.'

I smiled and turned off my flashlight. The note was pointing to the destination where we had our first date. The first date we went on was to an open field at night where we had a picnic and looked up at the beautifully star-lit sky. 

As I'm walking to the field, the memories of our first date come back to me on waves if starlight. He took me to that open field where there was a picnic blanket laying on the grass. When Gabe told me what we were doing for our first date, I was over the moon. I love stars and astronomy. We spent the entire night lying there in the grass, me pointing out stars and constellations to Gabe. I thought he was looking at them, too, but I turned to face him at one point and he was looking at me. Every time he called a star or constellation beautiful, he was talking about me.

The thoughts of our first date filled me with happiness as I finally made it to the field. There, in the same place it was nearly three years ago, was a blanket. The stars are still beautiful, the grass still crisp. What was new, however, was the rose lying delicately on the blanket. Yet again pulling out my phone, I read the paper.

'If only you could have seen that night from my perspective. The way your eyes lit up as you explained the origins of Orion and his belt, to your Zodiac sign was magical. If only you could have seen the stars reflected in your eyes, captivating me more than the night sky. Your next clue is where I finally had the courage to do something I had waited forever to do.'

After rereading the clue several times, I finally knew where he wanted me to go. He wanted me to go to the place we had our first kiss. I folded up the blanket and carried it with me, in addition to the small bouquet if roses I was collecting.

Our first kiss was the night after prom. Gabe had taken me to this little gazebo in town, decorated with twinkling fairy lights. It was so magical. We danced under the twinkly lights, completely lost in each other. In that moment, Gabe asked if he could kiss me. I smiled and nodded my head yes. Slowly we leaned in, til our lips connected in the middle of that gazebo.

When I finally reached the gazebo, fairy lights hung from the rafters again, reminding me of that night. However, the closer I got, I heard the soft music being played from some hidden speakers. Rose petals scattered the steps and floor, adding to the elegance. I slowly climbed the steps, the blanket and my roses still in my hands. There, in the center of the gazebo, was Gabe.

He slowly turned to face me, and I suddenly felt very underdressed in my skinny jeans and t-shirt. He was wearing a nicely tailored suit and dress shoes. In his hand he held several more roses. But what caught my eye relaxed as the box in his other hand.

Slowly, he got down on one knee. My hand not holding the roses flew to my mouth. He slowly opem d was he box and started a speech I'm sure he rehearsed many times.

"(Y/n), I love you so much. Part of the reason I sent you on that scavenger hunt tonight was to remind you of all the wonderful memories we had made together. So here, where we had our first kiss, I'm asking you to help me make an even happier memory. I love you so much and can't imagine living my life without you. So, (Y/n), will you marry me?"

Tears are flowing down my cheeks, but I dont care.

"Yes!" I cry out. "Yes I will marry you!"

Gabe hastily stands up and slides the ring on my ring finger. He then hands me the other roses he has, and I bury my nose in their soft petals, enjoying the scent. I look up through my eyelashes at him. He did all this for me.

I stand on my tiptoes and place a kiss on his lips. "I love you, Gabriel."

"I love you too. So much, (Y/n). I can't wait for us to spend the rest of our lives together."