Why We Can't Let Go (James x reader)

"James, I'm scared," I say as I bury my face in his dark coat, the pouring rain already soaking my clothes.

"I know (Y/n), but we have to try."

"What if we can't get everyone out in time?"

"We've got to try. Now let's go."

James helps me mount his horse, Jellybean, before he mounts in front of me. I wrap my arms around his waist as we galloped to the poor camps.

My husband is a Mountie. At first, I was scared to be married to a Mountie because of the risk that comes with the job. He put my mind at ease, There were multiple times he would be gone for days on end, but I would just go visit Brianna in the diner. Her husband Preston is also a Mountie.

The river is already rising dangerously and the rain continues to pour down on us. We stop in front of the training camps where other Mounties are already hurriedly packing supplies and saddling horses.

"Constable Amendola! Thank you for coming but why did you bring her with you?" The lack of dirt on his bright red jacket tips me off right away. He's a trainee. "There's no way she can help."

I bite my tongue and from my view, I see James clench his jaw. "My wife is here to help."

"Just keep her out of the way," the trainee snarks before walking away.

"Don't," James directs at me while holding onto my wrist. "He's not worth the time. Besides, we have more people to help."

Once he's off Jellybean, he helps me down and leads me into the camp. It's mostly deserted and stripped of almost everything except for a few tents still remaining. There are a few kids around, clinging to their parents.

"Everyone! Please listen!" my husband yells over the howling wind. "We're here to help evacuate you! The storm is causing upstream to flood and the same thing's gonna happen here. If you have kids, line up with my wife! If you need anything, ask any of the Mounties or her!"

Soon a stream of people start walking toward me and I immediately jump into mothering mode. The rain has let up somewhat and I reach inside one of the covered boxes for dry blankets. Everyone around me wraps the blankets behind themselves as they climb into the wagons we have to help evacuate them.

"Ma, where are we going?" a little girl whispers as I hand them blankets.

"You're going to Houston Valley," I say, bending down to the girl. "Everything is gonna be ok there. I teach a school there. Maybe you could be in my classroom this spring."

I stand up and watch them climb on the wagon before looking at the rising water. It's only a matter of time. James walks back up to me, his hair soaked.

"Is everyone out?"

"Almost everyone. There's a few stubborn people who refuse to leave. I have a few men working on that now."

"Good because I've been watching the river and it's getting worse. We have so little time until the river bursts it's banks and floods the entire area."

"Then everything's under several feet of water."

"Exactly. Oh look! Here comes the rest of your men!"

Three men, including the rude trainee, walk up to us, shoving an older lady in front of them. I grab a blanket and wrap it around her when they get up to us.

"That's the last one Constable. Just some crotchety old lady who doesn't wanna leave."

"I told you!" the lady shrieked. "My husband is buried here and I wanna go with him!"