The Sun to my Moon (Jordan x reader)

It's cold. And dark. The coldness feels like its seeping into my soul. My eyelids stay covering my eyes, iridescent silver shadow on them. The view outside them isn't much different from the view inside of them. Why should I open my eyes? If anything, the darkness inside seems warmer. Less hostile somehow.

My hair floats around my head, reminiscent of a halo. The darkness keeps it dry, but defies the confines of gravity. My hair does little to keep me warm in the darkness. The darkness has a way of penetrating even the warmest of clothes.

I shiver in my silver silk dress, the thin material providing zero warmth. The delicate silk that looks immaculate when light shines off the fabric feels colder than ice. My bare feet are beyond numb. I can't even feel them anymore. In fact, ice crystals are forming on my skin. The crystals tend to frequent the backs of my hands, the tops of my feet and around my ankles, the exposed areas around my collarbone, and especially in my crow's foot. That's also part of the reason I never open my eyes. The pain from the ice hurts too much.

While trapped in my icy prison, the darkness seems to move. I'm not trapped in the darkness anymore, but floating through it. I'm going to be freed. The speed of my ascent is increasing, adding a wind chill to my already nearly frozen state. I feel like I'm going to die.

I break through the surface. I gasp for breath, relishing in not being suffocated in the numbing darkness. I look near the surface opposite me. There is a man. The most handsome man I have ever seen. While I have (h/c) hair and dull (e/c), his are radiant and glorious. His golden hair seems to have been made with pure sunlight and his eyes hold the sky. While I am wearing a simple silver dress, he wears the most brilliant armor. His armor is gorgeous, made of orange, red, and yellow metals. It looks like it's been forged in the sun itself, which, it probably has. His armor radiates pure white light, making him look even more radiant and handsome.

He turns over his shoulder to look at me, and my heart skips a beat. Maybe two. He turns around so we're facing each other. He reaches a hand out and tries to run toward me, but he can't. Frustrated, he pulls at his feet, hoping he can break the curse he's under. The curse we're both under.

He starts to sink at the same rate I am rising, the darkness putting out the shine to his armor.

I start to cry at the sight of him. I miss him so much. I slowly start to rise out of the darkness, and he starts to sink into it. No, I want to yell. But I know he won't be able to hear me. He never does. I frantically start trying to get to him. To save him from the darkness that has nearly killed me more times than I can ever think to remember. I can't let him experience the same thing that happens to me. I can't. But I know he did it for me. He did it because he loves me more than I will probably ever know.

The darkness was sent to consume me, and it nearly did the first time I became trapped in it. He made a deal with the witch, begging to take my place. The witch, however, thought of something more. Something far more evil than making him watch me die. She told him that every night, he could take my place, just to let me live. And every night, without fail, he goes down into that black abyss to keep me from dying. I don't know how he does it. I don't know if I could do that every day.

His shoulders go under and the brilliant white of his flaming pauldrons seems to be doused by the darkness.

Tears run down my face unmitigated. I can't bear to watch him descend into that heinous abyss where no light can shine. Not even his gorgeous smile. I'm dragged up into the sky, watching him sink below into the icy depths. His smile that I've come to love is faint, marred with pain and anguish at not being able to hold me in his arms again.

"I love you."

The words shatter my heart. We've never been able to hear each other speak. Not since the curse took hold. It wasn't a shout. Or a yell. My world seems to have ended in one singular moment, in a singular whisper.

"I love you too," I whisper back.

His smile seems to brighten momentarily before his head slips beneath the void, it already trying to consume his light. I frantically look down, seeing his light trying to break free of the darkness, but it can't. Nothing can. As I watch, his light slowly fades until I can't even see it anymore. All I can see is a handsome man with blond hair floating unconscious just below the surface of the blackness.

I scream in anger and pain. I'm forced to make the journey across the sky like he is, being so close to his love, yet so far. My scream seems to shake the sky around me to it's very core. I no longer feel trapped in this cycle, like I'm bound to it. I feel free for the first time in millennia.

I drop down into the abyss, not thinking twice. When I hit the surface, the cold stuns me. I feel like I can't move, my limbs seizing up to the cold. All I want to do is stop moving and let the cold consume me once and for all. But when I force my eyes open, I see him there, unconscious. The darkness seems to have leeched all the light out of him. I force my way over to him and wrap my arms around him. His normal warmth feels like it's left. I cry into his chest, willing him to come alive and comfort me before we both die.

I feel a hand brush through my hair, and I smile as I look up. He's still here with me. I grasp both of his hands and a small burst of light forms, only to be snuffed out by the immense darkness. It shocks both of us, to the point where we drop hands. After a moment, we grasp hands again, not letting go at the sight of that small light shining in the darkness. I focus on that brightness, willing it to get bigger. He does the same, and soon we're surrounded by warm light.

"And that's the story of the Sun and Moon," I finish to my daughter who I am trying to get to sleep.

"Aw. I wanna know what happens next, Mommy!"

"No one knows what happens next, baby. Only the Sun and Moon know."

"I wish I could ask them. I wanna talk with the Sun about how he would die every night just to let the Moon breathe."

"Well, it is only a fairy tale," my husband, Jordan says while walking into the room.

"Daddy's right." I give her a kiss on the forehead and Jordan does so right after me.

"Maybe you'll find out what happens next in your dreams. That's where the best fairy tales are created. Maybe you'll finish the story."

"Maybe."

"Now it's time for good little girls to go to sleep."

"Yes Mommy."

"Goodnight Stars."

"Goodnight Mommy and Daddy."