Too Clever for the Cat (Nathan x reader)

"What's with them?" I asked walking past one house in the village.

"Dude, haven't you heard? (Y/n), the most wanted woman in town, said that she would marry the man who brings her the key around her cat's neck," Gabe, one of my closest friends filled me in.

"So, why are they acting like that? They're tripping all over the place!"

"The cat's crazy fast. No one can even get close." Jordan piped up on my left.

"No wonder! They're chasing the poor cat all over! The cat's probably scared!"

"Try telling them that. All they want is what's around it's neck." Cedrick's voice came from my right.

"Hey!" I yelled at the men, "Quit chasing that cat!"

"Stay out of this, puny boy. Unless you want to be in a world of pain," one of the unknown men growled at me.

"Like that was going to work." James's voice startled me. I honestly forgot he was walking with us. He was just so quiet.

"Come on, we're gonna be late for work." I waved my hand at them to keep walking. We worked at the mill. It was pretty hard work, but had decent pay.

When we arrived, the entire place was buzzing with the news of (Y/n)'s decision. Apparently everyone wants the key around that cat's neck. Not just that horde we saw around the house earlier. 

"What is it with everyone and this cat?"

"We told you, Nathan. They want the hot lady who's house key is around its neck."

"You didn't have to be so blunt, Jordan."

"Sorry, but it's the truth. Now let's get to work before we get fired."

We started working, running the mill and grinding grain down into flour. It's grueling work, but it's money.

At the end of our shift, we all started heading out for the day. When passing one of the workers, a man whose name I think is George, he grabbed the back of my shirt.

"Let go of me!" I yelled, thrashing around to try and get out of his grip.

"I heard you were insulting (Y/n)."

"I wasn't doing any of that. It just seems pointless for guys to try and catch a cat. They're chasing around the poor cat. No wonder it runs away!"

"You take that back," he says before slamming me into a wall.

"What's going on here?"

Thank goodness for friends.

"Let him go, George," James growled.

George is a strong guy, but James is just about as strong, maybe even stronger. And four v one weren't the best odds.

"Whatever," George said before shoving me. I stumbled, catching myself against a wall. I started walking home with the boys until we all had to split paths. I headed off to my house, and of course passed in front of (Y/n)'s house. She was out on her porch, enjoying the evening I guess. For once, her yard wasn't swarming with men. I actually didn't see her cat anywhere.

It was my first time getting a good look at her, and all those men were right. She's drop dead gorgeous. Her (h/c) fell just right, framing her face. Her (e/c) eyes seemed to have some sort of power over me. I couldn't speak or move. She was leaning on her front railing in a green dress that hit her just right. It wasn't flashy or revealing. She didn't need any of that, and she knew it too.

"Hey!" I called, once I found my voice. She turned to look at me and as soon as we made eye contact, she started running toward her door. "Wait! I don't wanna hurt you! Or chase your cat. It's awful that people are chasing your cat. It seems really nice."