CHAPTER 48

|VEER|

|Before the proposal|

The hospital had finally discharged me a few weeks back but I did have to take physical therapy for my arm so I had come back here again. Apparently, I was lucky that they didn't have to operate it on it else it would have messed with a few things. How lucky am I that I get lucky but at the same time hit the rock bottom?

I hated how crippled and useless I felt right now. I hated how I wanted Meera by my side more than anything but also I couldn't have here her and hurt her in the process. I had seen her a few weeks back when I had to attend a meeting with Officer Khan. The urge to hug and kiss her was unbearable but my inner turmoil was larger than that. Every second that I spent at home and every second that the doctor said that I was doing well the closer I had to face the reality that I will not be going back to the borders.

I cursed under my breath and banged my hand against the window. I was currently sitting near the window and staring outside as a few drops of rain cascaded down the glass pane. I was really done! No matter what I say or do I will be medically discharged because my heart can't take the pressure anymore.

I sighed as a tear rolled down my eyes. I wiped it angrily and slammed my book shut. I had been trying to read for a while but what's the use I can't even escape from reality for even a second. "There you are!" I grunted as I heard my Dad enter the room and sit down beside me.

"Veer, it's been a while and all you do is sit here in your room. Your mother and I are worried about your son! We left you alone hoping that you would come on your own to talk to us! But, that didn't happen and your Mom's anxiety is kind of rubbing off on me. Talk to me please!" He whispered and I closed my eyes.

He had never spoken to me so softly for quite some time now. I shrugged my shoulder and continued to stare At the window. I heard my Dad sigh and shift until he was in front of me. "Veer, I know what happened was not fair at all. I know that you deserved better. Maybe I should have protected you better. Then that Mihir would have never been able to get to you. It wasn't exactly a walk in the park to watch you go through all of that at such a young age."

I was about to argue back and tell him that none of this is his fault but he held his hand up indicating that he wasn't finished talking. I nodded silently and waited for him to continue. "But, at the same time, I had faith in the way your mom and I have raised you. Veer I know how passionate you were about your job and I'm really sorry that you can't go. You have done an amazing job. You protected so many people, you put your life at risk countless times so that they could be safe and that's not something everyone can do but you, my dear son did it! Mihir is gone Veer and I know that what he did to you was the cruelest thing ever but it is what it is Veer. You need to let go of the anger that you have on him. If you keep thinking about that you will ruin your life and won't that be a win for him?"

I sighed and nodded, he was so right. Every word that he said was true. I waited for him to continue."You can't change the past and there is no point in going over that incident again and again. It will do nothing but tear you apart and eat your soul piece by piece. You're still young baccha, and you can't give up now. Who says that's the only to serve our country? Who says that to show that you love your country you have to be a soldier and go to the borders?"

I knew what he was trying to convey. The realization of his words hit me. We sat silently for a few minutes. "Papa!" I whispered and glanced at him. He sucked in a breath and his eyes glistened with tears. I hadn't called him that for a very long time now. I sort of felt like I never deserved him considering how much I put him through. I always knew that he blamed himself for things but we never spoke about it. We just buried it in the past and moved on. Now I know that he blames himself and it was time to tell him that none of this was his fault.