Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17

The baby is coming!!

That's all I heard.

Nothing else made sense after that. Basically, everything was in a blur.

Grace met us down the stairs, I think she heard mum's initial scream. I felt them both gently drag me outside towards the car where Simon was already waiting.

And that's when it hit me.

My very first painful contraction.

I screamed from the intensity of the pain, ignoring the soothing voices of my mum and Grace. When the pain had subsided, I burst into tears.

"I can't do this anymore mum." I wailed.

I felt her hold unto my shoulders, her voice so very far away. I was already starting to sweat in bucketfuls. "Listen to me Cindy, you can do this. You are strong, you are powerful, and this pain will barely be remembered when you are finally holding your bundle of joy in your arms, alright?"

"Come on Cindy, we need to get you to the hospital." I heard Grace murmur as they both helped me to the car.

Simon drove so fast, that we got to the hospital in a rush. By this time, my contractions had gotten so much more painful and much more close-paced too.

A couple of nurses helped me unto a stretcher and I was wheeled into the hospital. Even as we entered, I hoped against hope that Dr. Mike would be less busy so he could help me out like he had promised me. We were in the hospital where he worked after all.

I was wheeled into a room and the nurses helped me get changed into a gown and helped me onto the bed. A doctor came in minutes later to check how dilated I was. He gently explained to me that I was just 6 centimeters dilated and that I could walk around or take short breaths to deal with the pain or take an epidural instead.

I told him I was alright, that I could handle the pain. But in all honesty, I really wished I could just get that epidural the doctor was talking about, but it was just going to be another burden on Dr. Mike since he had already volunteered to take care of the hospital bills, and I don't know, but I felt too much indebted to him to add more cost too, if you know what I mean. I just can't explain it, it might seem stupid, and maybe crazy, but that was just how I felt.

The contractions where becoming unbearable, but Grace and my mum were with me, helping me every step of the way, and honestly speaking they were the best support system I could have ever asked for.

Time went by and I still wasn't fully dilated yet, so I decided to walk around the room. The nurses advised me to try that, since according to them, it helps with stress and makes the labour process much easier.

So, I was painfully walking around my ward when I began to feel thirsty and mum offered to go and get me water at the cafeteria.

She had barely made it to the door when a loud scream exploded from my lungs. I had felt a pain that was much sharper than all the other I had been painfully enduring.

"Oh my God, Cindy's bleeding, Grace."

I looked down to see the blood trailing down my thighs, at the same moment as Grace wrapped her arms around me to hold me, while my mum screamed her heart out for help.

All hell broke loose after that.

A couple of nurses and doctors flooded the room, the nurses helped me onto the bed, while the doctors ushered my mum and Grace out of the room. Mum was adamant, she didn't want to leave me, but she realised she would have to if she wanted the doctors to do their job, and so she left me after kissing me on the cheek and gently assuring me that everything was going to be alright.