Chapter fourteen

Cindy's POV

Living in Mr. Mike’s house was amazing. Everyone was friendly and  Grace was very understanding when I told her about my pregnancy. She was over the moon when she realised that there was going to be another addition to the house. I basically have to beg the lovely woman to work ever since she got to know about my situation.

One month later…
I was now four months through my pregnancy and I’m starting to show. It's still not that obvious though, and it's almost inconspicuous when I wear baggy clothes.
To be honest, Dr. Mike has been nothing but a Godsend. The kind man has always been there for me making sure I never missed any doctors appointment, and doing everything he could to ensure my and the baby's comfort. I was truly blessed. We had become so close that he gets very pissed when I call him Dr. Mike but he knows that it has become a habit now that I'm  trying real hard to change.

I enrolled in a fashion school which was offering a six month course, with Dr. Mike's help, and Grace's advice.
Hopefully, I would be eight months when I complete the course.
The school also gave me the option of putting my study on hold if it became too  stressful and continuing after I’ve had the baby.

My birthday was a week ago and I was shocked to come home to a surprise party. The fact that they did something for me brought me to tears. I was even wondering how they knew, seeing as I hadn't disclosed any such information, but I later found out that Dr. Mike saw my hospital charts since he worked in the same hospital I do my checkups.
I know you would be wondering if I had heard from my mum and Janet… well we speak on a daily basis now that I have a phone of my own and my mum is very happy to know I found a good place to live.
My mum has been very quiet about Brian but has come to accept that she is going to be a grandma. Janet has also kept in touch and she told me she was planning to move out of the Smith’s mansion to start a new life somewhere new. I was happy for her since she had no known relative and had worked hard to get to where she was right now.

It’s been two weeks, and Mike’s birthday is rapidly approaching, thus Grace and I have been at it secretly planning something for him. I was so glad that everything was finally ready, though I was very tired but that was all my dear baby's fault.

The lights where off when Mike arrived. His first thoughts were that everyone had retired to bed which was very hilarious because it wasn’t even seven pm. My only job was to turn on the lights while we all screamed surprise.
A very easy job if you ask me, seeing as I had done literally nothing but plan and give orders. (Grace wouldn't let me work.)
I turned on the living room lights as we all screamed surprise, laughing at the frightened look on Dr. Mike's face. The poor man looked like he was about to have a heart attack.
I wobbled over to him, arms outstretched for a hug.
“Happy birthday, Dr. Mike.” I cooed while wrapping my arms around him.
“Aww, Cindy. Thank you.” He drew back away from me and smiled at everyone. “You guys shouldn't have, but thank you all so much. I really appreciate it. “
Grace grinned as she stepped close. “What are you talking about? If anything, it is us who should be grateful for having a boss as wonderful as you.” She laughed slightly when he rolled his eyes. “You don't know how much you mean to us.”
Dr. Mike smiled and gave a curt nod. “Okay, everyone. Enough about me. Let's get this party started.”
Loud whoops filled the air as Dr. Mike helped me down the short flight of stairs and into one of the couches.
The party lasted on into the night and in that space, I was shocked at how much cake I practically inhaled. It got to a point where I STARTED dozing… it seemed the stress was finally taking it’s toll on my body. Dr. Mike kindly ushered me to my room despite my protests of being okay and able to handle myself. Honestly, it was in times like this that I wished he was my father. Don’t get me wrong, my dad will always have a special place in my heart, but he was gone now… I don’t know, I guess I was looking for someone to fill that void.
Changing into my nightwear after a quick shower, I crept into bed and surprisingly slipped into a peaceful sleep despite the noisy party still in full swing downstairs.
Saturday dawned bright and early and I made my way downstairs after cleaning up only to see the place spotlessly clean. They had cleaned up without me.
Normally, Grace and I went to the market together to get groceries for the house but when I made my way to the kitchen to help her with breakfast, she said she had a lot to do at home so I had to go alone with Simon instead since he also had a little errand he had to run for Dr. Mike.
I quickly made a list while eating my breakfast , well what can I say, I’m a good multi-tasker.
My mind wandered to everything that happened since I moved here, it all felt so unreal, as a matter of fact, I had to constantly pinch myself at least once a day, to tell myself it was all true.

I know, funny right?

I sometimes had to beg Grace to work in the house since she found out about my pregnancy, and in fact I’m even starting to wonder if I’m actually a maid or not, I was still getting paid and Mr. Mike was also paying for my school.
I remember the day he came back from work one afternoon only to tell me we had to go somewhere.
It was a surprise I will forever be grateful for; the fact that he wanted me to learn a vocation while waiting to go to college.
I refused at first when I thought  about the fees, but he promised me it was a birthday gift.
“Cindy I’m ready we can leave now” Simons voice brought me out of my train of thoughts.
“Okay” I replied and stood up from the stool I was seating on.
We both walked to the car and I settled in the passenger’s seat.
The drive to the Supermarket was quite short. We had a little trouble finding a place to park, but we eventually got a spot.
Today being Saturday, the place was a little crowded so Simon offered to help me out instead of waiting for me in the car.
One hour twenty minutes later, we were able to get everything on the list into our cart.
We joined the rather long queue waiting for our turn to pay for all of our stuff. I took my phone out of my pocket and went to Instagram to while away the time.
I raised my head after a while and then squinted at a figure in the distance. The person honestly looked like someone I knew but she disappeared I could confirm.
If I wasn’t hallucinating, then there was a high chance that that was my mum, and if that had even a teensy chance of being true, then I needed to find out for myself.
Leaving Simon at the cash paying checkpoint, I quickly dashed after the figure… well going at a pace that my bump would allow.
For a moment, I thought I had lost the woman, but I rounded a corner and immediately spotted the same woman picking something up from one of the shelves.

I was right.

It really was my mum in the flesh.
I stood still for a moment. Basking in the joy of finally getting to see her again after almost five months.
“Mum!” I screamed in delight, rushing over to wrap her in my arms and peppering her with kisses.
She seemed pretty dazed from the shock so she didn't really react to my attentions. Instead, she pulled back and took a closer look at me, whispering breathlessly as tears began to well up in her eyes. “Oh my God, Cindy. It's really you.” She engulfed me in another hug as the tears began to stream down her face. “I can't believe it.” She muttered into my hair causing me to laugh. It seemed she was still in shock. “Believe it mum. It's me, and I’m here now.” I whispered back.
She pulled away again and gave me a once-over, her eyes tearing up again at the sight of my baby bump. “ Oh my God… you’ve grown so big.” She tentatively reached out to rub my belly, a short laugh of joy leaving her lips when she felt the baby kick. I laughed along with her, tears welling up in my own eyes.
“Hey baby, grandma is here.” I whispered.
She looked up at me. “You look good child.”
I smiled at her. “It's been God's grace through it all mum. Come, we've got so much to talk about.” I dragged her over to the cash paying checkpoint where Simon stood waiting.
He had a curious look on his face when he saw me approach with my mum. I quickly made introductions, smiling inwardly at the look on Simon's face. He looked like he had seen an angel, and I understood his predicament, for my mother really was a beautiful woman, who still had an impressive figure, although she had a worn out look on her otherwise amazing face.
“Simon, you don't think Dr. Mike will mind meeting my mum, do you?” I asked.
He quickly shook his head. “No. I don’t think it'll be a problem. If anything, he'll count himself lucky to meet such a lovely woman.” He smiled at her.
“Alright mum, it's settled. You're definitely coming with us. God, I’ve got so much to tell you.”

Hey wonderful people..
Thanks for reading this chapter.
I like to know your thoughts on the book so far
That would mean a lot to me.
Thanks for reading once again😚😚😚😚