Chapter twelve

Cindy’s POV
“You’re fired!”
“You’re fired!”
The sentence kept resonating in my head.
I didn’t know what I was going to do with myself.
I didn’t know if my mum was fired too, and I hope to God that she wasn't.
We have worked here for so long, that I didn’t know what to do with my life, should I leave. I hadn't saved enough for university, and I wouldn’t even have a place to lay my head.
I was currently in Janet’s room crying my eyes out.
My mum won’t speak to me and that made it even worse.
I was now regretting my actions, what was I thinking, what in the world encouraged me to date someone like Brian?
Life didn't work like that.
This wasn’t a fairytale, where the poor girl ends up with the rich charming prince. My crazy mind made me believe, I was going to live happily ever after with him, and what did he do? He left me to the wolves at the first chance he got!
Janet pats my back continuously as a way of comforting me.
I had told her everything that happened and she was also shocked herself.
I asked myself many questions. Why didn’t she find me instead? I could have kept my secret for a much longer period. I thought to myself.
I wiped my tears and jumped out of the bed. Janet looked at me, confused at my sudden action.
She raised her eyebrows, trying to figure out what I was up to.
“I’m not going to mope around anymore, I’m packing my things tonight and I’m going to walk out of this house to make a better life for myself and my baby.” I said with determination.
Janet looked at me sadly, and I knew, even though she wanted to believe my motivational speech, she still had doubts swimming in her eyes.
I mean, I didn't  even believe in what I said myself.

*****
I woke up the next day to see my mother on her bed, crying and my heart broke at the sight.
Her tears were no one's fault but mine. I had caused all this. 
I walked up to her and wrapped my arms around her.
“Cindy, what did I do to you? Wasn’t I a good parent to you? You are not a kid and you very much understand our condition and how life is for us right now. How do you get yourself into this kind of trouble?” She wailed.
“I warned you about getting close to that boy, what at all have you gotten us into?” My mum said, still in tears.
“ Mama I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you.” I apologized.
“I have a little money saved up, and I will help out  until we get another job. Or… maybe I could plead with Mrs. Smith, perhaps, she'll let you stay on. I honestly didn’t mean for this to happen…. I’m so so sorry.” I continued, already in tears.
I love my mum so much that I hate to see her in pain because of me.
“There is something I haven’t told you yet…” She trailed off.
“Mrs. Smith said I could stay if I wanted  to but…” 
“No buts, mum, that’s good news. Thank God she didn’t fire you for my mistakes.” I cut her off.
“Cindy, you don’t understand I’m your mum and you’re just eighteen and pregnant, I can’t just leave you to fend for yourself.” Mum said sounding very disappointed, but I was undeterred.
“Mama, I understand your point of view, but what if we both leave and don’t get  better paying jobs? You and I know we get paid well here, and we don’t have to worry about paying bills. Mama, let me go and get myself a new job, I’ll call you when I need something, I promise. Moreover, I have some money saved that can get me through.” I tried convincing her, but to no avail.
After a million years of arguing, my mum finally agreed to let me go alone, so she could stay and save up for us.
I had Janet’s number so I could speak to them frequently. I also had to make sure I got a new phone since my last one was stolen.
With my luggage packed, and my goodbyes said to the people that mattered to me,  I walked out of the Smith’s mansion without looking back even once.

My determination quickly run out when I walked out of the walls of the estate. What was I going to do now?
Where was I going to go?
I was in so much thought that I didn’t see the incoming car.
By the time I realised it was coming towards me, I was too stuck in fear to move.
I proactively wrapped my arms around my stomach waiting for the hit, but it never happened.
I felt someone tap me on the shoulder and I promptly raised my head.
I was met with a warm smile from an old man.
“Are you okay dear?” The man asked.
I was in so much shock that I couldn't bring myself to say anything.
“Let’s get you to the hospital to make sure you’re okay.” The man said and helped me to his car.
The car began to move before it registered in my head that I was in a stranger's car.
I haven’t even completely left and I was already being careless.
“Sir please can I get out now? I think I'm quite alright.” I requested gently trying not to piss him off.
He didn’t really look frightening but looks could be deceiving sometimes.
The man smiled at me. “Don’t worry dear, I wont hurt you. I just want to make sure you’re doing okay. Besides, you can easily beat me up if the need arises.” He said laughing at his own joke.
I managed to smile weakly at him, he honestly had a point there.

The old man  parked his car at an expensive looking hospital
I knew this definitely wasn’t a government hospital and I started to panic.
“Sir, I think I’m okay, I’m not hurt anywhere. Thanks for everything, I’ll be leaving now.” I started to get out of the car.
“Hey, hey don’t worry about the fees. I know that's why you're panicking, but it's fine. I work here so you won’t have to pay for anything, it's just a little checkup anyway, nothing else.” He assured me.
“And stop calling me sir, Mike will do.” He said.
I nodded and followed him towards the hospital. I saw its name written at the entrance and I was surprised to see that it was Lister hospital.
I hadn't been there before but I knew it was one of the most expensive places in the country.

******
“All done, everything is fine and you don’t have to worry about anything.” Mr. Mike assured me with a smile.
He had told me was working here but I wasn’t expecting him to be a Doctor. Appearances really could be deceiving.
“Okay, I’m going to drop you off at your destination, since I was the cause of all this.” 
“No sir.. I mean Mr. Mike… I’ll find my way home, I just need my luggage, I believe it’s in your car.”
“I insist, I’ll take you home.” He pressed. I really couldn't say no after that.
He walked me back to the car park and helped me into his car. “Where to?”.
I guess I just had to come clean. “To be honest with you, Mr. Mike, I don’t know myself, I just got fired at my old job and I have nowhere to go to.” I said, wondering why I was telling this man all my problems.
“Sorry, didn’t mean to burden you with my problems.” I apologised.
“That's okay dear, But if you don't mind me asking, what job were you doing? And why were you sacked?” I briefly explained to him what had happened and he look at me with pity. “Well, I do have a job offer for you, that you might be interested in.”
I nodded for him to continue.
“My housekeeper is the only one at home, and her workload is honestly becoming too much. I think she will be grateful if she gets someone to help.”
I brightened at the news. It wasn’t like I had any choice, I didn’t even know where I was going to lay my head for the night. I was going to take the offer, after giving it some thought.
Something told me I could trust him, but I wanted to refuse him first, to see his reaction.  “Thanks sir… sorry Mike, but can I think about it?” I asked. 
He nodded. “That's okay. This is my card call me when you’re ready, I’ll take you to a hotel near by.”
I was delighted. Now I had more time to carefully think this through.
Mr. Mike said as he started the car.
The drive to the hotel took about fifteen minutes.
I alighted and followed him to the reception where he paid for my accommodation for a whole week.
“Thanks so much, Mr. Mike. God will really bless you for your amazing kindness.”
He brushed me off with a smile. “No need to thank me, dear. Okay, have a good day and don’t forget, the offer is still on the table… you have my card.” he said, as I escorted him out of the hotel to his car. I watched him drive off, as I waved him goodbye.
I checked into my room and collapsed on the bed after arranging my things in the wardrobe. To think I didn't even know where I was going to lay my head when I left home. God was really wonderful.

Thanks for reading..
Don't forget to vote🍒